Updating operating system of my old computer

rika

Hi there,

my hp computer just recently got 8years old. It's OS is Windows Vista and thus just overall not very fast, additionally many things like Chrome, several Anti-Virus- softwares aren't being supported in any way, no (proper) updates etc...
Question here: is it worth to update the whole thing to Win7 (aka buying the license) or rather saving up for a whole new pc? (Or maybe just replacing single parts?)

thanks in advance

hp pavillion p6029de
Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200 2.33GHz 64bit
6GB RAM
gfx NVIDIA GeFOrce GT120

beers

Staff member
That's a lot of RAM for an old build.

I wouldn't buy a license, however you could roll a Linux distribution of your choosing. There's also various edu promotions on Windows.

Realistically put that $100 into a new build (which will probably be spent on the os anyway :p )

Cristaenoff

I know a lot of people will tell you to get a new PC or go to Linux, but Windows 10 should run fine on that. Personally, I've found that Windows 10 runs better than Vista and 8 on older computers that can handle it. However, it also depends what you are going to use it for. Gaming? General use?

Darren

Staff member
I know a lot of people will tell you to get a new PC or go to Linux, but Windows 10 should run fine on that. Personally, I've found that Windows 10 runs better than Vista and 8 on older computers that can handle it. However, it also depends what you are going to use it for. Gaming? General use?
Yeah it might work but the cost of a license is over $100 and you can get used computers with 7 on them that have better hardware and can be upgraded to 10 for free. It's not that it wouldn't work, it just makes zero financial sense to do so.

Cristaenoff

Yeah it might work but the cost of a license is over $100 and you can get used computers with 7 on them that have better hardware and can be upgraded to 10 for free. It's not that it wouldn't work, it just makes zero financial sense to do so.
You cannot upgrade 7 to 10 for free anymore. Also, you're not gonna get a computer with better hardware than that for less than the cost of the license. Upgrade the graphics card, throw 10 on in, you're golden.

Darren

Staff member
You cannot upgrade 7 to 10 for free anymore. Also, you're not gonna get a computer with better hardware than that for less than the cost of the license. Upgrade the graphics card, throw 10 on in, you're golden.
I've done it literally hundreds of times. You still can, just get the Media Creation Tool and just run the setup off that and upgrade. Microsoft tells you that you can't but it still activates. You can even do a clean install and activate it with a 7 key. I work in a computer repair shop specializing in refurb machines and have done it 100's of times.

Better hardware.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-Optipl...epid=0&hash=item5447682c26:g:1VwAAOSw1WJZEeFf

edgar gillham

I'd suggest Linux Ubuntu/mint, lighter, faster, more secure, and thousands of free software packages. Win 10 loads down my laptop.