Updating Win 7

roker

when I try to run Win 7 updates, the box shows "checking for updates" and the bar graph is running but it runs for hours and never gets anywhere. It has worked OK for years until recently. Any ideas please

roker

It was everything that was suggested, I do not understand rollup? I have just run a update fault diagnostic from a link on your thread, it found a registry fault but still does not update as before
Just checked Service Pack 3 was update 31 July (sorry that was MS Word update)

Last edited:

Islam

Try to run antivirus and scan ur PC ,some viruses my slow up PC preventing updates from being downloaded and installed.

Last edited:

roker

Thanks no viruses, Windows problem solver just keeps running forever, I wonder is MS getting back because I would not upgrade to Win 10

DMGrier

VIP Member
I have seen this often, I have been able to fix this through running the automatic update install for 3AM and let the computer run over night. It can sometimes take a few rounds to work but that has worked for me.

roker

I got on to Microsoft support and reluctantly gave Tech support control of my PC and they seem to have downloaded the updates, I will see if it works next time I have updates. It does worry me though that they may not be a genuine site, you take the chance. My PC is 5 year old and they spent over 30 min fixing it.

www.support.microsoft.com

mistersprinkles

There is no WWW in microsoft support. It is http://support.microsoft.com... Also, the odds of someone from microsoft spending 30 minutes fixing your computer are just... astronomically low. I can't see it happening. It's not even part of their policy...

If you bought a prebuilt machine from DELL or HP, then DELL or HP is your tech support. If you built the PC yourself, YOU are tech support. Other than activating a windows license that is giving you a hard time, Microsoft ain't gonna do jack squat for you. Especially not for half an hour.

I'd hate to see what information you've had stolen or what spy crap you've had put on your PC by these "microsoft support" people. I'm not even going to click on that link but I'm 99.999% sure you got screwed.

I'd suggest at this point that you do a full reinstall of your Windows 7 and just do the windows 7 rollup patch manually and be done with it. Your machine is almost definitely compromised.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
There is no WWW in microsoft support. It is http://support.microsoft.com... Also, the odds of someone from microsoft spending 30 minutes fixing your computer are just... astronomically low. I can't see it happening. It's not even part of their policy...

If you bought a prebuilt machine from DELL or HP, then DELL or HP is your tech support. If you built the PC yourself, YOU are tech support. Other than activating a windows license that is giving you a hard time, Microsoft ain't gonna do jack squat for you. Especially not for half an hour.

I'd hate to see what information you've had stolen or what spy crap you've had put on your PC by these "microsoft support" people. I'm not even going to click on that link but I'm 99.999% sure you got screwed.

I'd suggest at this point that you do a full reinstall of your Windows 7 and just do the windows 7 rollup patch manually and be done with it. Your machine is almost definitely compromised.
You forgot to ask if he paid for it. You know Microsoft does actually provide end user support. It's just normally not free. He linked the correct website, so if they told him to go to support.microsoft.com/help and had him run a support applet, then it is genuine.

If it some random tech support guy and they had him use Teamviewer, then it was fake.

speedyink

VIP Member
Every computer I've installed Windows 7 on since Windows 10 came out has had a serious time updating. It updates fine until SP1 is installed (yes I need newer iso's..), then just sits there for hours, seemingly doing nothing.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Every computer I've installed Windows 7 on since Windows 10 came out has had a serious time updating. It updates fine until SP1 is installed (yes I need newer iso's..), then just sits there for hours, seemingly doing nothing.
Same. Even after the rollup it still sucks. I reloaded an HP last night and it's still sitting there checking for updates.