Upgrade from 3080Ti

Kacikcio

Hi guys, so the RTX 4090 was introduced and I've had my RTX 3080Ti for about 11 months. It is a decent GPU. I have quite a dilemma, if I should upgrade or not? What about you? If you have RTX 3080 Ti or 3090, are you going to upgrade ? Nvidia promises 2x-4x more performance on RTX 4090.
I feel that my 3080Ti is obsolete now
I don't know if I would know the difference in games between 3080Ti and 4090. I also was thinking about upgrade to 3090Ti. What do you think? I wonder in your opinions.
One opinion by another user:

‘“If your gaming in 4k then you really have no choice since the 3080ti is trash at 4k in alot of games and can't even manage 60fps”

beers

Staff member
I'd say it might be worth waiting to see how benches turn out but unsure of the current scalper demand to try to acquire all of the new release.

Should be a decent step up but up to you if that difference is worth $1500. The used market kind of fell out of the bottom recently for used cards on your 3080ti.

DJboutit

3080 TI is a dam good video card I would wait 2 to 2 1/2 years before upgrading again. That video will not be considered like a 1050 is now for even 5 to 8 years.

Hellmut1956

I am keeping track for my information what the developments in computer hardware are. I have an MSI RTX3080. From what my tracking has told me so far is that it is still to early to update to an RTX40XX graphics card. 2 aspects make me believe it is still to early. One is the physical connectors used to supply the power to the graphics card. There are a few reports about this connector melting due to the high amperage flowing into the card. I would wait to see a graphics card that has a stable power supply to the card. Maybe adding a connector to supply power to the graphics cards or to see cables with connectors improved to prevent the connectors from melting.

The other aspect is related to the power supply. The supply does have to have the proper connectors and cables to be adequate for the RTX40 family. You will require a power supply with maybe 2000W and complying to the standards as required. Doing this makes it reasonable to change the motherboard and the CPU. I have an ASUS ROG Maximus III Extreme. a board that dis cost well above 800 USDs,

Due to all this, the activity is not one of an upgrade but that of a very expensive new PC. I have, a year ago build a new PC with a full tower case, the motherboard I wrote about, an i7 11700l CPU, and a new 850W power supply. The reason was to be able to revive my hobby of flying single engine GA planes by getting the Microsoft Flight Simulator, the full set of logitec devices, pedar, yoke, power throttle. Just now I have ordered:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01MQ0GFUH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01M28GIBL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and to begin with a single unit:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01M3TTXMY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and finally a seconf power throttle:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01MG4DCMD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With 2 of them I can control individually 2 of the engines of the junker JU-52 I fly::

With this configuration I can now fly with ultra settings on nearly all parameters. One last thing I have to add is a 32" Gaming Monitor 3840x2160, 1ms and OLED displaywith 120 oe more Hz.. The cost seems to gonna be by end of the year starting at 1000 USD. This way I will have 1 32", 2 28" and 2 24" monitors. A pretty extended setup. Might be also a head tracker.

So having shown why and what I have as a setup for my demanding game, my hardware of the PC is fine. No need to upgrade to an RTX4090. Should you neveertheless do it, I would like to buy your RTX3080ti board.

Where I might benefit from more performanceis when ultra wide monitors appear with 2160 r4esolution vertically. Then my system might get to its limits.