upgrade graphics card

stosh

My son's laptop has difficulty with games because of lag. He has a HP dv7 notebook with 8gb ram at 2 ghz. He uses a AMD 880 G with ATI Radeon HD 4200. I'd like to upgrade his card but for no more than $200.

MadHappy

I did a little research for you, and, unfortunately, the only option you have is to send it in to HP to have them upgrade it.

This is the thread I was looking at from the HP support forums. The last post says he was able to send his DV7 in and have it upgraded for $75.

Other than calling HP, and unless you just need a larger hard drive, upgrading a laptop is either impossible(parts not made/available) or it's more money/effort than it's worth.

spirit

Staff member
Upgrading laptops is very difficult, just about the only things in a laptop you can upgrade are the hard drive, RAM and possibly the screen. Upgrading stuff like the CPU and GPU is hard and as MadHappy said above it's usually more hassle than it's worth. Keeping the laptop cool with the upgraded hardware would also be hard. For gaming a desktop is usually the better option for this reason...

stosh

oh well

thanks for the help. Thought I'd ask but now waiting for Ivybridge before gettin a replacement. Thanks again for the help