Upgrade (MB?)

profbodryak

Hey guys. Currently have an Intel P4 based system. Recently got a PCI-e PNY 9600GT and soon enough will get another one. Unfortunately, my MB is AGP8x. What is the MB that you would recommend for an SLI setup with two PCI-e 9600's that would be compliant with my Pentium 4?

I guess, my main concern is the compatibility of CPU that I have (P4) with the MB.

Thanks in advance!

profbodryak

lovely?, no, right now I have a single 6600.

scooter, yup, that's what I am trying to do. To find an sli mb that will be compatible with two PCI-e's and my current Pentium 4 cpu.

simpletron

first question what model p4 do you have because the p4 family of processors span over 3 different socket types. and if you got an early one there is no way to get a motherboard with a pcie x16, let alone a sli board.

you are better off forgeting 9600gt sli for now and get a new processor, motherboard and ram.

scooter

banned
first question what model p4 do you have because the p4 family of processors span over 3 different socket types. and if you got an early one there is no way to get a motherboard with a pcie x16, let alone a sli board.

you are better off forgeting 9600gt sli for now and get a new processor, motherboard and ram.

Yeh good point..

You might wanna consider a full update of new mobo and cpu...ram is cheap and u can get a mobo/cpu combo for very reasonable prices.

profbodryak

I guess both of you are right. 775 - does that sound like a socket type?

The idea is that I was recently able to get a very good deal on two 17'' syncmasters (in addition to my 17'' dell) and a 9600gt. So trying to figure out what's the best route to go with all that to have a three screen setup.

Given a set frequency what is more productive - Core 2 Duo or Dual Core.

Just trying to figure out the more economical way to do an upgrade :)

scooter

banned
core 2 for sure,,and yes,,775 is a socket type and its the perferrable type in this case...at least from a compatibility standpoint.

profbodryak

ok, just ran everest home edition - it is a socket 478, so I do need a new mb with a cpu. I will probably go with a core 2 duo as suggested here. Thanks to everyone for your quick responses!

pies

Depending on how much your looking to spend there's different Nvidia chips with sli such as the 750i.