Upgrade my current pc vs building entire new one

skifish

I am currently deciding wether or not to upgrade this computer, or just build a whole new one. I really would like to just upgrade my current as money is extremely tight. I hope to be able to play most current games on highest settings with a decent fps. Specifically Rift. Thanks guys!!!

CURRENT SYSTEM: HP a6514f (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN#N830)
Go to the link to see specific, only things currently different are GPU and PSU.
-3gb RAM
-E2180 Dual Core CPU @1.8ghz
-500gb hd
-ATI radeon hd 4650 (1gb XFX)
-MOBO: MCP73M01H1 (Otherwise known as Napa-GL8E)
-Running Vista 32 bit
-Corsair 600w power supply

POSSIBLE UPGRADES:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

CASE: Possible, unless all this will fit my current case, as i do not know whether or not a atx board will fit. The current board is micro atx, but im pretty sure the case can hold a atx Height: 38.7 cm (15.23 inches)Width: 17.5 cm (6.89 inches)Length: 41.4 cm (16.29 inches)
---If i were to get a new case i would get COOLER MASTER HAF 912 mid tower.

P.S.: Im keeping the harddrive so i dont have to pay for a whole install of windows 7 and i can just get the upgrade. after i get 7 on it i plan on adding more ram and another 1tb hard drive..

If you guys have any advice on more things to add lemme know. Im on an extremely tight budget, thanks guys.

Last edited:

FXB

What are you going to be doing with the new system? There's not much point to get the Phenom X4 965 you could save money and get the 955 black edition which you can then overclock to similar levels.

skifish

Will be mainly for gaming; specifically Rift, WoW, GW2 when it comes out, mainly mmorpgs.

I will be using it for modeling/ animation a bit too. Using auto-desk programs like 3ds max, and mud-box 2011.