Upgrade questions for Dell laptop

MacGyver

I have a laptop that am thinking about up grading, wondering if it’s worth upgrading
or if I should build a new slimline desktop

I basically want it to be a little faster, my old AMD 850 athlon w/ 512MB of ram PC is faster
then this laptop.

I don’t want to spend more then about $200 otherwise I could just get a barebones system
or something off Craigslist.

What form factor are needed to replace the parts below and can I upgrade the CPU?

Dell Inspiron 8600
Pentium 1.4 GHz
512 MB of RAM
NIVIDA GeForce FX Go5200 (not intergraded)
37 GB hard drive

cpt.obvious

No you can not upgrade the CPU. Basiclly the RAM and hard drive are the only thing really you can upgrade. I did that with this old Toshiba Tecra. Also a USB sound card wouldn't hurt.

Gareth

Upgrade the hard disk drive to a faster one, chances are you have a 4200rpm drive, and a 5400rpm or even 7200rpm drive will speed things up significantly.

spamdos

im not sure it would be worth upgrading as the performance gains would be relatively low. it is hard and expensive to upgrade a laptop for notable gains in performance. the best option is to wait, save a bit more money and look into a new one. the performance gains will be much greater and more noticeable than simply upgrading ram and hard drive. However check the speed of the hard drive, as garethman said, it could be a fairly limiting factor. im not sure i would worry with a ram upgrade though...