WIndows 10 Upgrade questions

Qwop

Hi, I built my first PC 7 years ago and upgraded the gpu once since.

Now with the announcement of the GTX 3080, I feel like I need to upgrade my PC once more. I currently have an intel I7, GTX 1070, S-ATA SSD, ddr3 RAM and an old mainboard that doesn't support m2m.

I was thinking since I'd like to upgrade the GPU I might as well upgrade my SSD to m2m. That would therefore require a new mainboard as well. So I could also get ddr4 RAM while I'm at it. This leaves me with my old CPU. Do you guys think I should get an I9? Or stick with an I7? I heard the I9 was overkill just for gaming. Also I'm not sure what to do with the old PC which I really want to keep.

beers

Staff member
What is that like a 2600k or 3770k?

Probably about time, I think it's getting to be the end of the line for most 4c/8t setups in the enthusiast sector.

Qwop

What is that like a 2600k or 3770k?

Probably about time, I think it's getting to be the end of the line for most 4c/8t setups in the enthusiast sector.

Oh, it's a "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz" so I don't really know, sorry :(

But if I understand correctly you think I should upgrade to an I9 eitherway?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would just go with an I7-10700K, which is an 8 core 16 thread cpu. You got a certain budget in mind?

Qwop

I would just go with an I7-10700K, which is an 8 core 16 thread cpu. You got a certain budget in mind?
That sounds good. I don't mind the price I just want something that has a great price/value and that will be able to keep up with the other components

beers

Staff member
You could probably find a 3930K if you wanted a couple more cores on that, although the premium might not be worth the upgrade atm.
I would just go with an I7-10700K Ryzen 4000 Series
Fantastic suggestion!

beers

Staff member
My Intel 8700K system is a hell of a lot quieter then 2 Ryzen 2600X systems with stock cooling
I don't think it's too surprising that an aftermarket cooler performs better than a bundled one.

I hear the bundled Intel cooler is super silent but the heatspreader itself isn't particularly effective as a heatsink :p