Upgrade to 600 watt or stay?

ExtremeAlien

Right now I'm running on a 300 watt or 350 PSU. I am running a 3.0 ghz prescott p4 1 gb ddr2 dont know the mhz I think 533. 7600 GT. 1 ide hd and 1 sata. 24 bit sound card. I am planning on getting a 2.4 conroe. With a Nvidia 680i sli se tr edition motherboard since its made for the conroe (1066 fsb). Also I was going to upgrade video card later maybe until I save up more after the mobo and cpu. But I was wondering if the 300 watt can handle all this. Also going to upgrade to 2 gb 800 mhz. So I was going to get this psu if I need to http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2132071&CatId=1483. Its cheap considering the SLI ready and 600 watt.

Geoff

VIP Member
The 300W is barely strong enough for your current system. Theres no way it can handle a 680i SLI board and a newer video card.

If you are even thinking about getting an SLI system, look for a power supply thats at least 700W, and has quad-rails at 15A or better each. You might be able to go a bit lower, but then you would need to upgrade again later on. Besides, the 680i motherboard uses an 8-pin CPU connector, which I doubt your current PSU has.

Plan on spending around $130-$150 for a decent PSU.

ceewi1

VIP Member
Thanks for the help, if you find anymore maybe cheaper can you let me know? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148022 is this good? I like the blue cords matches my lighting lol :). Well this one seems a better price on tiger http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1899444&CatId=106.
That's a really poor quality PSU. I would strongly recommend against it.

The Ultra you linked to earlier represents reasonably good value. Ultra are clearing out the old units (such as this one) to make way for new stock.
If you jump on this before the rebate expires, it's great value: http://shop2.outpost.com/product/47...fY+uOVYWA**.node3?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

As for your requirements, it really depends on which video card(s) you go for. The PSU I've linked to, or the X-Finity you originally posted will be fine for SLI'd 7600GTs. If you're talking about 8800 series cards, for example, you'll need something bigger.

ExtremeAlien

The apevia is poor quality? Also that one you posted looks great except for the rebate, wish it wasn't mail in. Ill probably get that one if they still have it when I'm ready to buy.

Grimulus

The apevia is poor quality? Also that one you posted looks great except for the rebate, wish it wasn't mail in. Ill probably get that one if they still have it when I'm ready to buy.

Down with Apevia.

Get a Corsair HX620. They are made by Seasonic and are amazing PSUs. A little pricey but you get what you pay for in them.

ExtremeAlien

AHHHHH I'm GOING DOWN!!!! Well I pulled back up because I decided to spend about 100 or so on one. I need one that I can use on the board i have now so its not just sitting out. Its an ecs. PT880pro-A. Is there one you suggest? Or any of the ones i suggested? Also if I went with that xion my upgrading costs would be 514. Also thats without all rebates. And 474 with. (this includes an conroe 2.4 and a 680i se mobo) Also would that xion fit in my mid tower atx? Or ill just go with the x-infinity or finity what ever :p. Tell me what you think.

Last edited:

ceewi1

VIP Member
Honestly, I'd avoid the Xion as well. The +12V@32A is pretty poor at that price, and the overall quality isn't that good either (although much better than the Apevia).

At ~$100, I'd grab a Corsair HX520, or an Antec TP Trio 650W if you need the extra output power. You still haven't mentioned what video cards you're looking at.

ExtremeAlien

Also did you say that ultra is ok? I might not sli but I'll probably get 1 8800 one day. If the ultra is fine for that then I'll get that since its 50$ cheaper.

ceewi1

VIP Member
It'll handle a single 8800 series card, although I'd avoid an 8800Ultra. The efficiency is a little low and there's no PFC, but given the price you can't have everything.