Upgrade to my computer

Tiago Monteiro

I want to upgrade my GPU since my computer has 4years now. But i don’t have any idea what is the best choice.
I want to upgrade to a msi rx 5700 but i’m afraid to overkill my computer. Can someone give me some advices on what can i buy?
Specs: Cpu: AMD FX 8350 4.0Ghz
Motherboard: MSI 990FXA GAMING
GPU: R7 370 gaming 4Gb (is broken)
Ram: Kingston 8Gb Hyper X fury black ddr3 (2x)

Cisco001

What monitor have you got?
You CPU may bottleneck RX 5700

I suggest you consider RX 580 with extra RAM. And SSD if you haven't got one yet.

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
580 are relatively inexpensive these days.

5700 would probably be better off downgrading and putting the rest to upgrade the rest of your PC. 8350 is getting kind of old at this point and while okay on release it wasn't amazingly splendiferous.

Shlouski

VIP Member
You shouldn't have any problem with it.

Hahaha, I have seen some trerrible high wattage Psu's that I would trust to power an led :D, but yeah is most likely ok.

Really forget the wattage, it's more important look at the amps and manufacturer, for a gpu pay attention to amps on the 12v rail. So I till would be interested in seeing the model number, better safe than sorry.

As for what gpu to get, depends on what games you are going to play and what monitor you are driving, mainly refresh rate and resolution. Your cpu is really at that age where it's going to struggle in new big titles, but maybe you don't play these games. I suggest looking at how configurations similar to your own perform in games you want to play, you can usually find a few videos on places like youtube, this may give you an idea where your cpu starts to struggle and limit a gpu.

AlienMenace

Hahaha, I have seen some terrible high wattage Psu's that I would trust to power an led, but yeah is most likely ok.

Really forget the wattage, it's a more important look at the amps and manufacturer, for a GPU pay attention to amps on the 12v rail. So I would be interested in seeing the model number, better safe than sorry.

As for what GPU to get, it depends on what games you are going to play and what monitor you are driving, mainly refresh rate and resolution. Your CPU is really at that age where it's going to struggle in new big titles, but maybe you don't play these games. I suggest looking at how configurations similar to your own perform in games you want to play, you can usually find a few videos on places like youtube, this may give you an idea where your CPU starts to struggle and limit a GPU.

Yea, that is true! It depends on who made it. I have a Corsair 750w in mine. But if he bought a no-name brand and didn't really the amps and such, that would be a problem.