Upgrade...

Kornowski

VIP Member
So, when I return from my holiday I'm going to upgrade my computer. Well, the MOBO mianly since its been broke for a little while. I was thinking;

Q6600
EVGA 750i FTW
4GB Crucial Ballistix
2 X 8800GTS G92 in SLI

Can anybody think of anything else, or something you'd change? I want an SLI board and a Quad for sure though. I'm thinking itd be enough for the new games coming out, like Far Cry 2 and Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway?

Thanks.
 
Last edited:
8800 GTS is about $180 right now, for a little more you can get a better card. The 8800 GTS is a good card....but you can get better. Here is a few examples for ya

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4850 for $170
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102747

XFX GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) for $180 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150287

ASUS 9800GTX+ for $180 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121265

A friend of mine just did 5 builds with this board and they all run great. You can take the FSB up to 1600 for some great overclocking! And it supports some high speed RAM. I was real impressed with this board. My friend has a Q6600 @ 3.0 GHz on air cooling and some Corsair Dominator running at 1200 MHz, great system, I wish I would have done the same:(

ASUS P5K EPU LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX for only $115
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131277


Those are just my observations....it really depends on what you like and what is best for your needs and budget.

Just be aware.....it is not unheard of to have Operating System problems when you switch motherboards.

Case : XION II w/12” green cold cathode
Motherboard : Asus P5N-E 650i @ 1532 FSB
CPU : Intel Q9300 @ 2.875 GHz
CPU Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper TX2
RAM : Corsair XMS2 Pro/pc6400/ 4x1GB/ @800 MHz
Graphics : Evga 9800 GTX @ 760 MHz
PSU : Antec Neo Power 650w / modular cables
 
Last edited:
I thought he wanted to buy two 8800 GTS.....two will do great in SLI config.



Case : XION II w/12” green cold cathode
Motherboard : Asus P5N-E 650i @ 1532 FSB
CPU : Intel Q9300 @ 2.875 GHz
CPU Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper TX2
RAM : Corsair XMS2 Pro/pc6400/ 4x1GB/ @800 MHz
Graphics : Evga 9800 GTX @ 760 MHz
PSU : Antec Neo Power 650w / modular cables
 
Last edited:
Thanks Omar ;)

Yeah. I already have an 8800GTS. Its clocked higher than a 9800 too, so :P

Scout, the only problem with that MOBO is the RAM slots. They aren't lined up, so I couldn't use my XTC. :)
 
Last edited:
That looks sweet man. With the price of the Q6600 (at least here in the US), there's really no point in looking at the Q6700 unless you have the money available or you're a heavy overclocker.
 
Yeah. Its pointless for the X10 Multi. I mean, it'd be nice, but its not worth the extra money at all!

How much of an improvment do you think I'd see with GTS SLI on a 19" monitor?
 
No I don't know, I've tried every chipset!! :P Every video card! *cough* ATi *cough* :D

Off topic, I found you on the UG forum :P
 
Lol no I saw that but no. I was about to ask if the RG series were good, and I remembered you have the 350DX so I searched under "Korndawg" and found you. :P
 
The Q9450 is a little pricey, Yeah. The Q6600 is bang on with the price and performance, it's about £115 ($230) here. Which is good!

Nah, An Ultra!? Old technology! :P
 
Back
Top