Upgrade?

Techtro

Hello, I have a ati HD 3870 512mb video card and was looking at maybe upgrading it. I had the nvidia 250gts in mind. does anyone think its much of an upgrade or is it not really worth it? Or what better cards do you recomend?

This is my comptuer setup now.

Cpu - AMD 9550 x4 phenom
Graphics - HD3870 512mb
Ram - 6GB kingston hyper x
HD - 500gb seagate
O/S - windows home

Games seem to not be able to be run with full graphics settings i just want to be able to play games with every setting set to ultra high.

Any recomendations to make this pc better would be appreciated :)

bomberboysk

Hello, I have a ati HD 3870 512mb video card and was looking at maybe upgrading it. I had the nvidia 250gts in mind. does anyone think its much of an upgrade or is it not really worth it? Or what better cards do you recomend?

This is my comptuer setup now.

Cpu - AMD 9550 x4 phenom
Graphics - HD3870 512mb
Ram - 6GB kingston hyper x
HD - 500gb seagate
O/S - windows home

Games seem to not be able to be run with full graphics settings i just want to be able to play games with every setting set to ultra high.

Any recomendations to make this pc better would be appreciated :)

3870 to GTS250 isnt a giant leap...but would be an upgrade. The GTX 260 Core 216 is a good upgrade though.. What kinda power supply do you have?

Techtro

i put a thermaltake 850w power supply in it a while ago to power the graphics gard :) isnt my card better than a 8800gt? or pretty much similar.

bomberboysk

i put a thermaltake 850w power supply in it a while ago to power the graphics gard :) isnt my card better than a 8800gt? or pretty much similar.

Similar... And the GTS250 is just a 9800gtx+, which in itself is a 9800gtx that was shrunk to 55nm instead of 65nm, which the 9800gtx was an 8800gts G92 edition... yeah, confusing eh?

You can get $50 off any of the 3 gpu's listed here($129 for a GTX 260 core 216...very good price, but id go for a GTX275 if i was getting $50 off...) if someone hasnt already used the code(id have used it myself except atm im kinda...broke?):
http://www.computerforum.com/152902-coupon-code-newegg.html

Last edited:

Techtro

i live in australia so prices are a bit higher for me. the gtx 260 is around $270 here. gts 250 around $220 9800gt $199. Prices of the newest graphics cards fall pretty quick though so i mite wait a month or 2.

Just another question. I have 2gb ram in my comptuer now and i just bought a 4gb stick there both kingston hyper x. i read that timing should be the same though and on the kingston website they have differnt timing. i have no idea how timing works though but would it still work to its best performance. there both 1066mhz. just that i thought its best to use memory like 2g 2g 2g 2g to make 8g ram or 4g 4g for best performance? but i have 4g and 2g. just a bit confused after reading articles everywere about ram performance.

Brett_md

If you're wanting ultra high setting on your games, you'd probably want to spend a bit more and get something in the GTX 200 series (higher end card). GTS 250 is a nice card though. GTS 250 right now is at the bottom of the high end cards, or at the top of the mid-range cards, however you want to look at it. I think the GTS 250 will work for high settings for just about all games out right now. A GTX 260 would carry you a little further though.