upgrade?

lincsman

So, yes I'm happy enough with my 6GB GTX 1060, however there is the odd game it's so so on. Most of all though, I want my computer to run very well for a long time. So is it worth the money to upgrade to the 1070 soon? Or should I just wait? Some have said that I should even wait until the next series comes out before upgrading. It would be cool to go 2k, but that is much beyond my means right now as I would get the 1080 ti as well as the monitor, so I'm just at 1080p for now.

Darren

Staff member
Just wait. Updating within the same generation is a massive waste of money, particularly if it's just the next step up.

lincsman

based on benchmarks, the 1070 is quite a lot better. averages 40% higher performance, which is a lot according to userbenchmark. If I sold my 1060, it would basically be a 200-250 dollar purchase right now. So I'll see how this 1060 holds up because it's pretty damn good right now all things considered. It is quite the hassle to sell it, and then spend that kind of money.

kam

based on benchmarks, the 1070 is quite a lot better. averages 40% higher performance, which is a lot according to userbenchmark. If I sold my 1060, it would basically be a 200-250 dollar purchase right now. So I'll see how this 1060 holds up because it's pretty damn good right now all things considered. It is quite the hassle to sell it, and then spend that kind of money.

You could overclock your GPU, giving you better performance across the board.

See link for a guide on how to do so, it is quite simple. Hope this helps!! :D

Darren

Staff member
Wait. You'll regret it when you see how much of a performance jump next gen will offer at a similar price point.

What resolution do you play at? If it's not higher than 1080/60Hz you're definitely going to be wasting your money on a 1070 right now.

beers

Staff member
I'd hold on until Volta releases. The 1070 is indeed faster but for what you already paid on the 1060 the price/gain ratio isn't going to be as great.

Darren

Staff member
I'd hold on until Volta releases. The 1070 is indeed faster but for what you already paid on the 1060 the price/gain ratio isn't going to be as great.
Exactly this. You'd be spending close the as much as you did for the 1060 initially for a 40% increase.

lincsman

I think at this point, the only upgrade worthwhile is a GTX 1080ti, or just waiting for the next series. The only reason why I would get a 1080ti is if I also got a 2K monitor, or even went 4k. At this point that is out of my price range. I think I would sooner start with a 2k or 4k monitor (and last time I checked full 4k monitors are quite expensive here in Canada at least) first, so that I can at least watch movies and maybe play some less demanding games at 2k before sinking money into a new video card.