Upgrade

Johnz1

My Pc already has a Samsung M.2 drive so what would be the most effective way to upgrade the performance Either more Ram or a more powerful cpu? Current Ram is 8gb Corsair Vengance LPX 2133, and the cpu is Intel i5 7400. Motherboard is Asus B250M K

Many thanks.

OmniDyne

A processor upgrade would be the most noticeable. However, to realize the difference, you'd have to pay for the now overpriced $230 Intel i5-7600K.

Is that (1) 8GB stick of RAM or (2) 4GB sticks?

Also, what graphics card are you running?

Johnz1

Hi OmniDyne, On board graphics, and 2x 4 gb ram. The pc is only used for screen recording and occasional video editing [ Movavi ] nothing too heavy duty.

OmniDyne

I don't have any experience with video editing; I'm sure someone else can give you better advice in that area.

It seems like an upgrade may not be warranted, at this time.

beers

Staff member
Which specific M.2? What are your full PC specs? What exactly are you looking to improve upon?

Something like an i7 would be better for video but it's up to your workload to determine if it's worth the cost.

Johnz1

Thanks OmniDyne.
Beers, The M.2 is a Samsung 960 evo the rest of the specs are 8 Gb Corsair Vengence LPX 2133 Ram, Asus B250M-K Board also using onboard graphics. Corsair 650 watt Psu.
The video editing is only for my own use ie removing adverts , cutting out non relevant areas. I was just wondering if I could make things a bit "snappier" It does the job fairly well as is, but feel it could be improved upon [ within reason ] considering the base specs. Maybe a dedicated graphics card would be warranted
thanks.

beers

Staff member
I think the cost of the update wouldn't be really worth in this scenario. If your video editing app supports cuda or opencl you might get a jump from throwing a relatively inexpensive gpu in there.

That i5-7400 is at the low-end of the Kaby series. It's not much faster than the 2010-era desktop that I junked last year. So I think that some CPU improvement is in order.

So ... can your board handle a replacement CPU? For around $300 you can get an i7-7700K ... but someone else here will have to say whether it's compatible. (I don't know the sockets.)

Or maybe recommend some other CPU that will fit.

Your i5-7400 clocks in with a PassMark rating of 7400. If your board can only accept i5 processors, then these are the only current i5's that are faster (but I still don't know the compatibility):
Code:
i5-7640X @ 4.00GHz    9692
i5-7600K @ 3.80GHz    9149
i5-7600  @ 3.50GHz    8811
i5-8350U @ 1.70GHz    8199
i5-7600T @ 2.80GHz    8130
i5-7500  @ 3.40GHz    8085
And even that 7640X is only 31% faster. That's enough to notice, but I'd rather spend the money on a whole new box with an i7 processor ... and thereby get some real, meaningful performance gain.

Johnz1

Thanks Margrave, sorry about the late reply. I will check out the mobo and see if it can use the i7 7700.