Upgraded Windows 10 Key Really a Windows 10 Key?

oliver_cool103

Microsoft has a free download for Windows 10 still on their website for people who use assistive technologies. I don't use assistive technologies but I took advantage of it and now I have Windows 10. Now, I used my Windows 7 key for Windows 10, so I was thinking if I could wipe my computer, use a Windows 10 installation media provided my Microsoft, and use my Windows 7 key that I previously used to upgrade. My question is, would it be possible to use a Windows 10 key for a clean install of Windows 10? Does the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant turn my Windows 7 key into a Windows 10 key?

beers

Staff member
You should be able to use the Windows 7 key to install Windows 10.

If the installer complains you can always skip and add the key later, but it should activate.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You have 30 days to go back to previous OS if you want to, after that your windows 7 license turns into a windows 10 license. Technically you don't even need to know your key now because once you format and reinstall 10, it will automatically activate when it gets to the desktop. It's called a digital entitlement, activation data is stored on MS servers.

Darren

Staff member
You can activate Win 10 with any unused (or previously used on same machine) Win7, 8, or 8.1 product key. After that it will automatically activate.

Activation is also in part tied to your MS account so even if you switch motherboards (like I recently did) it'll still be activated after I logged in to my MS account.

oliver_cool103

Ok guys, it worked, I put the IOS file on a USB, used DBAN to wipe my computer, and the installation from the went great. What was even cooler was that my key was linked to my account as jonnb35 said. Now I have a Windows 20 installation media and a Windows 10 key FOR FREE!

beers

Staff member
FOR FREE!
55971831.jpg