Upgrades

GSAV55

New Member
I have the computer in my sig, running windows xp, and I've been itching to upgrade it, lol. What do you think? Should I hold out until something comes out (like what?) or should I start upgrading now, and what do you think I should upgrade? Or do you think that I should just shutup, that my computers fine. My comp kills itself to play Crysis on mid, and I max out my CPU when I play Frontlines: FOW on high. I want to get the new STALKER and the new Crysis, lol, so yeah...

Thanks:D
 
Hm, your processor seems good. I would look at getting 2 more GB of RAM, depending on what you have now. Do you have 1 2GB stick or 2 1GB sticks? If you have 4GB you might as well go for 6GB and get the 64-bit Vista. 32-bit can only use like 3.3GB i think. Ummm I would sell the video cards. Maybe look into get 2 9800GTX+ in SLI. I've heard good reviews about that card they're also fairly cheap. I saw them last for $200 on NewEgg. This won't increase the performance but a new hard drive wouldn't be bad. Keep in mind you could probably sell those 7900's for quite a bit.
 
Really? You think the 9800 is the way to go? Not like 4850s or 70s? Why's that? And you think I can still sell these cards pretty high? They are like 3 generations old, but I guess as far as dx9 goes they are still great cards...
 
They are great cards, I'm just not sure exactly how much you could sell them for. The only reason I recommended the 9800 is because you have an SLI mobo. For the money, the 4850 and 4870 are better cards, you just won't be able to crossfire them when they get old. And for that matter the GTX 260 might also be a good call. For a single card I would go with the 4870.
 
Here is a good review.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-4870-review--asus/10

It shows the 4870 a little bit ahead once you get into huge resolutions. This is a nice chat because it also shows the GTX+. Well now that I've checked, The GTX 260 is now the same price as the 4870. I would say they are both good performers, and might have to go with the GTX 260 simply because your mobo is SLI compatible. The 9800GTX+, however is also high on that chart and you might save money by SLIing those, maybe around $200.
 
Back
Top