upgrading a cpu

starlitjoker

hey
my mom has a GT5464 gateway desktop

the processor accepts pentium dual core cpus and it has one now.
the existing one is 1.8 Ghz and i want to upgrade that to a pentium dual core at 3.2 Ghz. The one im putting in comes from another one of my computers.

the existing computer is running vista 32 bit i believe

how would i upgrade this? just plop it in? or do i have to do anything before i put it in?

2048Megabytes

You need to look up the motherboard specifications and read what processors the board will support.

If you do find a processor that you can upgrade to be sure to run the computer for around five minutes before attempting to remove the heatsink. The thermal paste will give way making it easier to remove after running the computer for five minutes.

Be sure you also purchase some thermal paste before you attempt to exchange the processor. When you apply thermal paste don't use too much. Apply only the amount that equals the size of a grain of rice.

Here is a video on how to remove and install a Socket 775 processor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6NbPMQgwPM&feature=related

schw32m

According to this here is the CPU support list:

Processor Support

• Intel® Core™2 Duo processor in an LGA775 socket with a 800 MHz system bus
  • Intel® Pentium® D processor in an LGA775 socket with an 800 or 533 MHz system bus
  • Intel® Pentium® 4 processor in an LGA775 socket with an 800 or 533 MHz system bus
  • Intel® Celeron® D processor in an LGA775 socket with a 533 MHz system bus

starlitjoker

well i dont want to buy a new one

the one i have now is a pentium D 800 MHZ FSB lga 775
the one in the computer is a pentium DUAL CORE so do i have to update the bios or anything before putting it in?

starlitjoker

and are there any risks of updating the bios? or what about replacing the cpu? could it potentially harm the motherboard?

2048Megabytes

Flashing a BIOS could destroy a motherboard. I would not risk updating an Original Equipment Manufacturer motherboard. Most times there aren't BIOS updates for a motherboard used by Gateway or any Original Equipment Manufacturer. If the processor doesn't work in the Gateway motherboard as is then it very likely won't work.

If you follow the instructions I gave above and in the video on YouTube.com for replacing a processor you should be fine.

starlitjoker

the gateway support page has the link to the bios "update" so shouldn't that work if its on their support page? and i do know how to put in a processor im just worried about the bios.