Upgrading Current Computer

kgordon

Hi everyone. I have a Emachinces ET1831-03 which I inherited from my grandmother 3 years or so ago when it was almost brand new (she passed away). This is the most current computer I have and has worked great for what i use it for (light gaming and such).

My current issue is that i want to run dual monitors and only have 1 vga connection on the computer. I have tried to do some research and i seem to find that any upgrade I make to the video will probably require a new power supply. If possible I would like to upgrade graphics and maybe a bit more ram.

The specs are :
CPU - Dual Core E5300@ 2.60 GHZ
Power - 250W
Memory - 4GB DDR2
Graphics - NVIDA GeForce 7050/ nforce 620i
OS - Windows 7 Home

From what i gather the video is integrated. I have a PCI-16, (2) - PCI and a PCIe-1

I was looking to see if i can get some upgrades without breaking the bank, or for christmas.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am not well versed.

Thanks,
Kevin

beers

Staff member
What kind of gaming? I guess if you're using integrated it isn't much.

Something like a GT 730 only pulls ~35w or so and would fulfill your requirement.

Cisco001

I would probably grab a cheap e8400 from ebay for $15

GT 730 probably look at Gddr5 version

Last edited:

kgordon

Forgive my lack of knowledge but i want to make sure these units are compatible.
Here is a link to the specs of the computer. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883114078

I have answered my question about more memory, seems only 4 GB is supported so I am maxd there.

The interface for the GE Force 730 says PCI Express 2.0. Is this supported, all i see on my computer are 1- PCI-E x16,1- PCI-E x1, 2-PCI. It also has a GDDR5 memory type, will this work?

Since my current graphics are integrated to the motherboard will it just use this once plugged in or will i have to direct the computer to this board?

Will the power supply connect to board?

Again I am sorry for all the questions but I don't know much about this and just want to get conformation before sending links out for christmas.

Thank you

Cisco001

Forgive my lack of knowledge but i want to make sure these units are compatible.
Here is a link to the specs of the computer. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883114078

I have answered my question about more memory, seems only 4 GB is supported so I am maxd there.

The interface for the GE Force 730 says PCI Express 2.0. Is this supported, all i see on my computer are 1- PCI-E x16,1- PCI-E x1, 2-PCI. It also has a GDDR5 memory type, will this work?

Since my current graphics are integrated to the motherboard will it just use this once plugged in or will i have to direct the computer to this board?

Will the power supply connect to board?

Again I am sorry for all the questions but I don't know much about this and just want to get conformation before sending links out for christmas.

Thank you

GT 730 would work on PCI-E x 16.
You just plug the card in. It doesn't need to connect to PSU.

kgordon

I apologize for bringing this thread back from the dead but i ended up getting other items on the list last year, not computer related. So i revisited my link and my PS can still be bought but they no longer carry the graphics. I attached a link. What would be something equivalent both in price and performance?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3952373&SID=ydztnpdm9e8p

Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...p=&AID=10446076&PID=3952373&SID=14jsbmc5lkkq3

Thanks!

kgordon

Well damn, they stopped stocking that one as well. I need to buy it the minute i see it i guess. Other ones that are compatible? I don't need HDMI as my monitors are not that new.

Laquer Head

What was your budget for the card? Do you play alot of games?

On a side note... You get +50 points for taking the time to find your old thread over a year later. Most people are lazy and would start a new one.

kgordon

I would really like to stay under $70 and i don't play a ton of games, not new ones anyway. This is mostly so that i can run dual monitors and up the performance a bit.

PS: its easy to find your thread when you can search by username. But ill take those 50 points!

Laquer Head

I would really like to stay under $70 and i don't play a ton of games, not new ones anyway. This is mostly so that i can run dual monitors and up the performance a bit.

PS: its easy to find your thread when you can search by username. But ill take those 50 points!

(Disclaimer: My point and ranking system is not recognized by anyone on this forum) LOL :)

Definitely go with Johns input above.. those are right in your preferred price range!!

kgordon

I assume everything comes with an HDMI now? Guess ill get an adapter.

Thanks guys. Ill probably go with the XFX Radeon due to the mail in rebate unless there is specific reason to go with the GeForce?