upgrading from windows xp

larryddd

hi
just like to check out everyones opinion before i upgrade. i have a fast computer which is up to date and runs well in xp, i like the look of windows 7 but is it worth it to upgrade, friends say its still worth the upgrade. thanks in advance

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Don't upgrade from the Windows XP unless you are planning to play the most modern games which require DirectX 11.

1up5dn

I don't agree. I say the upgrade is well worth it. All the R & D is now focused on Windows 7, both internally and externally, latest drivers, updated security, etc. Many of the latest security flaws have been found on older Windows versions and Windows 7 was excluded out of several of them.

I have upgraded several computers and they all have responded very well to the new s/w. Especially the ones using wireless (laptops mostly). The reviews are very positive and besides, you will be fueling the economy!!

deanj20

I would definitely upgrade to Windows 7 if you're sure that your PC meets the recommended requirements. I always like using the latest OS so that I'm able to stay current in my Windows troubleshooting skills.

However, it depends on what the computer is going to be used for - ask yourself what programs must you be able to run, and be sure that they are compatible w/ Win7 before making the switch. Many times I've upgraded an OS on a client's computer, only to return the next week to put the original OS back on because the weren't able to run some program vital to their job in the new OS.

If you're like 90% of users, and use your computer only for surfing the web, using Word and Excel and checking your email, then by all means, go for it!

gomdolijohn

It depends on what you use your computer for. If you're a person who has a lot of programs and aren't sure if they will run in Windows 7, check to see if they have available updates or whether or not they're compatible with 7. If you're a person who uses it for mainly simple tasks, I say go for the upgrade! The design and look makes it look nice, and there are a number of tweaks that make using your laptop/computer far more easier.

Here's an example:
http://www.tvlesson.com/video/42111_how-to-quickly-access-windows-7-programs-in-taskbar.html

tremmor

if the computer meets the specs i would buy for the support, critical and all security updates. Don't waste your money on the home edition. the Pro and Ultimate is a better investment and gets more. newegg.com has a deal now for the Ultimate. Here's the comparison from Microsoft for features. I bought the Pro and works fine now. Yes it was my learning curve. at least you will be good for maybe 10 yrs. you will also have an option for 32 or 64 bit install.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

keveenanderson

If your computer operating speed is very better then you can not need to upgrade your operating system XP to Windows 7. If you want to use latest gaming programs, latest graphics software then you can upgrade your system to windows 7 otherwise you can work with windows XP because windows xp is better than windows 7 in operating speed.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
If ALL the things you are doing and planning to do can be done on XP,then I really don't see the point of upgrading.If the LOOK is the reason,then thats just stupid reason to upgrade lol.