Upgrading - Help needed

k1ln3r

I have a pc that was set up a while ago to basically just stream content around my house, at the time of building it my daughter wasn't bothered about games etc, now she is, she wants to play a game called 'star stable' which isn't a major game or anything but for some reason the pc just won't run it.

So, I've decided I want to upgrade some of the components in the pc to be able to handle the simple games without spending a fortune.

I don't have a massive pc knowledge but I thought a new graphics card would be a good start?

These are my specs at the moment -

Lian li low profile computer case
Windows 10 pro
Intel Dg45id Motherboard
2x 2GB Hyper X DDR2 800MHZ
Intel core duo cpu e7200
Low profile Scythe Shuriken Cpu cooler
Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1024GB
Corsair 400watt psu

We will carry on using it for streaming, school work and some light young teen games.

Any and all help is much appreciated.

Last edited:

_Kyle_

It might be time for a new PC.

I'm not sure if that case will support a GPU. Could you give a more specific model number?

Do you have a specific budget?

k1ln3r

Hi,

I believe the case is a Lian Li PC-C37B Case, it will defiantly fit a low profile card I just wouldn't know what would fit with what I have.

Budget would have to be no more then about £200, like I say, the games she want to play at the moment aren't big major games.

k1ln3r

Thankyou.

The game my daughter wants to play says it needs the following -

• Video Card: Intel HD Graphics or AMD/ATI Radeon HD Graphics with OpenGL 2.1
What's OpenGL? Is it something in the card? Will the card you recommended have the OpenGL?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just a little out of my depth when it comes to GPU's.

Also, a friend recommended a 750Ti? Is that the geforce one?

Thank you in advance.

k1ln3r

Thank you.

The first one looks good.

_Kyle_

Thank you.

The first one looks good.

Yes, the 750ti is a geforce card.

The 750ti is a bit more powerful than the GT 1030, and the RX 560 is much more powerful than the 750ti.

They should all perform well for the games she will be playing, though.

k1ln3r

Thank you.

Should I get some more ram? Or will 4gb be OK?

Will the processor I have be OK?

Thank you for all the help so far.

Darren

Staff member
Ehh that Core2Duo might struggle. It obviously isn't a demanding game but the chip is over 11 years old and technically fails the minimum requirements. Probably would still work though.

When you say "just won't run it", what do you mean? Fails to launch? Crashes? Errors? Runs but badly? You want to pin down the actual issue because despite it being a low spec machine that's not necessarily the problem.

k1ln3r

Hi, it loads the game but then says it doesn't have the OpenGL needed and then closes down?

Also I was just reading the motherboard specs and it says it has a PCI Express 1.0 x 16, will the above cards still work with that expansion slot?

Apparently you can install an Intel core 2 quad processor.

Sorry for all the questions..

Another probably silly question - will upgrading all this hardware do anything to the Windows 10 operating system? Will I have to buy a new key or anything?

Darren

Staff member
You looked around at used machines? What you have is not remotely worth upgrading cost wise and anything you buy now, even used, would be an upgrade. Not sure what you have locally, I just hate seeing people dump 1-200 euros on a machine not even worth 50 on its own.

k1ln3r

Is it really that bad?

Would a half decent card just sort it out for now so my daughter can play some games that has the OpenGL and then I'll save up for a better pc for her afterwards?

Shes only 12 and definitely not a hardcore gamer

_Kyle_

What he is trying to say is getting a newer used PC would be more logical...

I didn't even think of that... my bad.

k1ln3r

Thanks guys, I think I just wanted a quick fix for now and save for a better one which by the sounds of it wouldn't be too hard to find, I will look...

Thanks again.

Darren

Staff member
My previous job was at a shop that did a lot of refurb stuff so I'm kind of opinionated on it. :p You'd be amazed how much I've seen some people dump in a computer to keep it going because it's "easier" than replacing it. Problem is I'd be selling a machine off the shelf several years newer for a lower cost than the repair would be. That's what I'm getting at. This is especially true in the past few years as slightly older used machines are still plenty fast for 90 percent of people.

New GPU isn't a bad idea but I wouldn't be surprised if that Core2Duo holds it back a ton. Would make more sense to just buy a newer regular machine than put a GPU in it that's worth more than the tower several times over. If you want to go the GPU route, could just snag a cheap used card on Ebay for ~50 bucks. I wouldn't spend any more than that if it's just for OpenGL support.

k1ln3r

That's what I think as well now, I'll probably buy a used card thats got the OpenGL support and save for a better full system, I didn't expect all of this help so thank you very much.

k1ln3r

Sorry just one more question...

I don't understand the PCI slots, my specs say a PCI Express 1.0 x 16 slot is available, I'm assuming I can only use a gpu compatible with express 1.0 x 16? And not a gpu compatible with a PCI Express 2.0?