Upgrading laptop memory

the182guy

Hi all,

My girlfriends laptop is running like a dog with just 512MB memory with Windows Vista. I thought that the cheapest and easiest way to improve performance would be to upgrade the memory to 1 or 2 gb.

I am just a bit unsure what I can put in it. The spec says DDR II SDRAM.

I took a pic of the currently installed module:
laptop1.gif

Here is the basic spec:
Code:
    * Processor - Intel Celeron M 440 / 1.86 GHz
    * RAM - 512 MB (installed) / 2 GB (max) - DDR II SDRAM
    * Hard Drive - 80 GB
    * Operating System - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic
    * Cache Memory - 1 MB - L2 Cache
    * Graphics Controller - Intel GMA 950

Anybody got any recommendations for improving the performance fairly cheaply?

I have found this 2gb laptop memory module on eBuyer, will this work in the machine? Link: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130435

Is it worth getting a more expensive module? The other componants are not high spec so I don't think it would benefit any more from a high end memory module, would it?

Thanks all, any help is much appreciated!:)

sokol

Make sure its the same speed, Also if ur laptop can handle 2gigs go for it. You will see a improvement. I upgraded my memory on my laptop from 512 to 1gb and there was a big difference. go with 2x1gb of ram for ur laptop.

the182guy

Hi sokol,

Thanks for the response.

I'm pretty sure there is only one memory module slot so I suppose it would have to be a single 2GB module.

Make sure it's the same speed? So it will have to be a PC2-4200 as seen in the pic?

the182guy

Thanks for the help all, I have found some Kingston 1GB PC2-4200 on ebuyer, I'll order a pair of those.

I didn't see the second slot at first, but I do now. Thanks!:D