Upgrading Mobo+CPU

Shocky

New Member
And I have a few questions.

Does this seem like a viable build? I only have 300 to spend.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138106
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182044
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100302
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103244
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098

It comes to 301, and I can handle that. I could handle all the way to like 320 if you want to replace any parts. The ram and processor come in a combo for 170 - so it's a steal. Separately they're 75 dollars more (combo and instant savings takes 75 off)
 
Despite what many people will say on this website, I doubt you will be disappointed with an AMD processor.

I just bought this RAM and have bought four other sets of Super Talent memory. I have never been disappointed with my purchases.

SUPER TALENT 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 - $40

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609027

This Phenom processor is a little less expensive than what you have chosen and will likely still give the same performance:

AMD Phenom 8450 Toliman Tri-Core (2.1GHz) - $149

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103254

The motherboard and power supplies you have chosen are, in my opinion, questionable quality. Pick a Gigabyte motherboard that is socket AM2+.

Good quality brand power supplies are the following: Acbel Polytec, Akasa, Antec, Astec, Asus, Channelwell, Corsair, Delta, Enermax, Enhance, Etasis, FSP, Gigabyte, Impervio, Lite-On, Masscool, OCZ, PC Power and Cooling, Seasonic, Seventeam, Silverstone, Sparkle, Thermaltake Toughpowers, Ultra, Wintact, Wintec, XClio, Zalman, Zippy

Edit: Might I also add that you will want a power supply that is at least a 450 watt. And when you purchase a Phenom processor be sure to buy one that has a 50 in the last two digits. There were some bugs with the early Phenom processors that were released and were fixed with the later versions released.
 
Last edited:
From that the reviews I have seen even E7200 outperform those tri-cores most of the time

Furthermore, no one here said here that he will be disappointed with an AMD processor, but we are here saying that Intel is better.
 
Well, I can't really find any good deals and from what I've read about the "TLB" bug it isn't "that" big of a problem and they'll eventually fix it.

Plus I can't really afford to go intel. I have around 300 dollars and the phenom fits the check perfectly - with all the combos. However I can't find any intel builds that are under 350.

If you can find a quad intel build including ram, mobo, and a psu - I'll gladly take it.
 
An Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 and Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe are great processors if you want Intel.

The E6750 is $178. But I would not cheap out on your motherboard. Biostar motherboards are not known for having high quality control.

This GIGABYTE motherboard doesn't have an onboard video card, but I believe it to be decent quality:

GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L motherboard - $90

Here's a video card that would work with it:

MSI NX8400GS-TD256 GeForce 8400 GS 256MB - $34

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127356

SUPER TALENT 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 - $40

Total with Dual-Core E6750 processor and shipping: $354
 
Back
Top