Upgrading My DVD-Burner

seeburt

I have a Gateway GM 5478 quad-core. My DVD-burner has taken a dump and the original one, an LG GSA 4167B, is no longer being made and I have been unable to find it online (new). I wanted to know if I can put any DVD-RAM in there and just make sure it's set up the same?

wolfeking

banned
DVD drives are not model dependent on desktops. Just make sure what kind you have (IDE or SATA) and grab any DVD-RW drive to go back in there.

MMM

Not quite true, some brand name computers will not accept generic brands...
Trial & error at times.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Unless you have a certain model of emachines that require a special front bezel on the drive then there shouldn't be any issues with using a generic DVD Rom drive on any system.
Even then it would still work without the special bezel, it just wouldn't be even with the front of the case.

Last edited:

MMM

Unless you have a certain model of emachines that require a special front bezel on the drive then there shouldn't be any issues with using a generic DVD Rom drive on any system.
Even then it would still work without the special bezel, it just wouldn't be even with the front of the case.
Why I made the last statement is that I came across a couple dell computers where the bios would not recognise some unless I upgraded the bios...
These days you would imagine all DVD's should be ok but then again!!!

seeburt

Let me see if I can get one more question in on my thread:

My original optical had a E-IDE/ATAP interface: most interfaces are SATA. What would be my options/concerns?

StrangleHold

Staff member
As far as I can tell it has 5 SATA ports. No point in buying a IDE DVD ROM drive when you can get a SATA DVD burner for the same price.