Upgrading my PC need help

mightymatt90

hey i am basically a gamer and i am considering doing a few minor upgrades just wanted some opinions on what i should upgrade maybe in order of priority to improve gaming performance.

specs:
CPU Type:
Intel® Core™2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz
System Memory (GB):
Video Card Model:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Storage:
2x 120.9 GB
7200 rpm
8.5 ms
Mobo:
Couldn't tell you without looking which i will get around to, i believe its ok. Its a gigabyte its got sata and normal good stuff.

I am thinking its cpu atm and maybe could get another 2gb ram, but at this stage i just want some1 elses maybe more experienced opinion.

Thanks in advance.

Aastii

VIP Member
You are spot on.

Look for a Core 2 Quad processor and 2GB extra memory, that would be a good start.

However it may not be that simple, if your motherboard only supports C2D processors, you won't be able to upgrade to a quad core, and if your mobo only has 2 memory slots and you currently have 2x1GB, you will have to sell your current set and go to 2x2GB, instead of just buying another 2x1GB set, or a single 2GB stick.

Download CPUz and look under the mainboard tab to see your motherboard manufacturer/model:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

also, do you have a budget for all this? It may be enough to go for an AM3 or 1156 build with current components sold + the extra money towards it, which would give a much larger performance boost