Upgrading my pc, query about energy consumption

Zargot

to not make this thread long and boring, im gonna ask a simple question. is there a site that has an up to date calculator where you can put in the specs of your pc and have it measure how big your power supply oughta be?

i found one, but it didnt have multi core processors in it. :O

Zargot

i actuallly found that one myself by googling :D it says i need about 380w for my system. however my current power supply is at 530w, thats the one i got with my pc. im confused :O

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
i actuallly found that one myself by googling :D it says i need about 380w for my system. however my current power supply is at 530w, thats the one i got with my pc. im confused :O

What are you confused about?

Zargot

if the people that built my pc decided that a 530w psu would suit my pc best, how come my pc only needs 350 w to run according to the calculator?

btw, im planning on adding 1gb ram (1 stick) and changing from XFX GeForce 8600GTS 256 mb to XFX GeForce 8800 640 mb. is a new psu recommended?

StrangleHold

Staff member
I,ve never used a Hiper, known a few people that had them with no problem, you should be ok unless your running 4 harddrives 4 DVD burners and so on.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
if the people that built my pc decided that a 530w psu would suit my pc best, how come my pc only needs 350 w to run according to the calculator?

The builder made a good decision. He provided you w/ a larger power supply, possibly to give you room for hardware upgrades.

btw, im planning on adding 1gb ram (1 stick) and changing from XFX GeForce 8600GTS 256 mb to XFX GeForce 8800 640 mb. is a new psu recommended?

I think you should have enough juice. Use the power supply calculator that Stranglehold recommended. You also need to know how many amps that card requires from the +12V rail.

oscaryu1

VIP Member

I would get an new PSU. And I'd skip the GTS and look into the GT's, same prices, but the GT leaves the GTS's in smoke.

If you took these temps while the computer was idle, the PSU wattage would be low. Get some games and movies up and watch the wattage rise, especially if you have an GFX with an 6pin slot.