Upgrading my PC

Slick663

So I have decided to upgrade my PC since its three years old now.

So my plan for this is to find the parts I want and buying either piece by piece, watching for sales or just waiting till I have enough saved up.

So here is my current setup:
  • Intel Core i7-4790K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1150
  • Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z97
  • Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3
  • ASUS Strix-GTX970
  • Corsair CX-M series CX600M 600W Plus Bronze
Here is the parts I want to upgrade to: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xrWs2R

The only part that I left out was the psu as I'm still trying to decide which one would be better, Corsair HXi Series HX750i Plus Platinum or Corsair RMI Series RM750I 80 Plus Gold.

If anybody has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

beers

Staff member
What are you doing and where does your system fall short?

If you want more gaming performance you could just upgrade the GPU and still be good for a while.

Slick663

Actually I was think about buy a new GPU now and wait till the holiday season to see what sales would be going on.

For what I want to be able to do with my computer is to get more into gaming, which is why I want to get the GPU first then the rest later.
I also what to get into programming, creating virtual test machines, and just learning to use programs.

I'm even thinking of using it to run a plex media server.

beers

Staff member
4790K should have some decent usable life left for that.

If you stream while gaming it might be worth taking a look at Ryzen or the upcoming Intel Coffee Lake CPUs that have 6 cores.

Slick663

Ok I'll take a look at the Intel Coffee Lake CPUs.

I guess another question i have is if I do buy a new GPU will I need a better PSU?

beers

Staff member
600w should be alright for single GPU setups. Even a 1080Ti has like a 250w TDP.

_Kyle_

Your PSU is more than enough. Coffee Lake comes out soon and GPU prices are absurd, so you should wait for a little bit.