Hello guys. I have a PC with this hardware:

mother.JPG
graphic.JPG
ram2.JPG
(Slot #2 is the same)

ram.JPG
cache.JPG
cpu.JPG

As you can see, it's pretty old. Specially the motherboard. What recomendations do you have for upgrading it? I have plans of keeping the RAM and Graphics card (and more stuff, but I don't really know what can I re-use), so, I need a brand new compatible motherboard.

beers

Staff member
DDR4 2133 is pretty slow at CL15, plus new platforms are DDR5. I'd be budgeting for mobo/cpu/ram, even if you went for a DDR4 solution.

What budget are you working with? Where do you feel it struggles the most?

Aglo

DDR4 2133 is pretty slow at CL15, plus new platforms are DDR5. I'd be budgeting for mobo/cpu/ram, even if you went for a DDR4 solution.

What budget are you working with? Where do you feel it struggles the most?
I think the main problem is the CPU. I dont feel a RAM problem (I can open a lot of stuff at once, except demanding games), but in big RTS games like Stellaris the game drops FPS because of the high amount of CPU usage. Also, i'm quite sure that the current cpu is a bottleneck for the graphic card. I can afford like $300 for upgrades.

P Bowry

beers

Staff member
A 6400 isn't a bottleneck for a 1050Ti. That card was mid-low range when it was released in 2016.

P Bowry

Hello guys. I have a PC with this hardware:

View attachment 11005
View attachment 11006
View attachment 11007
(Slot #2 is the same)

View attachment 11008
View attachment 11009
View attachment 11010

As you can see, it's pretty old. Specially the motherboard. What recomendations do you have for upgrading it? I have plans of keeping the RAM and Graphics card (and more stuff, but I don't really know what can I re-use), so, I need a brand new compatible motherboard.

With the above specifications I can recommend the following to increase system performance without the need of replacing the motherboard:

Swap the RAM with two DDR-4 2400Mhz modules.

If you have a HDD then swap for a SSD.

Upgrade your CPU to an Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.50 GHz)

What OS do you have? Consider Windows 11 --- which would (have) to be a clean install.

Have you tweaked this registry setting: DisablePagingExecutive ?

If not it can be found via HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System /Control/Session Manager/Memory Management.

Disable all the services which are not require via msconfig

For the age of you system you can also tweak this memory management tweak which will be in the same location as the first tweak to match the same amount of level 2 cache as on the CPU: SecondLevelDataCache

I personally believe it is well worth paying for a subscription for a decent 3rd party firewall like "Glasswire" and then you can be 100% certain that you have switched of all programs which will constant be using your internet connection which must be using your system resources running in the background.

That is pretty much it and of course every now and then house clean your system with a 3rd party application like CCleaner to help unclog your system with unnecessary files which could or will slow system performance.

Aglo

With the above specifications I can recommend the following to increase system performance without the need of replacing the motherboard:

If you have a HDD then swap for a SSD.

Upgrade your CPU to an Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.50 GHz)

What OS do you have? Consider Windows 11 --- which would (have) to be a clean install.

Have you tweaked this registry setting: DisablePagingExecutive ?

If not it can be found via HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System /Control/Session Manager/Memory Management.

Disable all the services which are not require via msconfig

For the age of you system you can also tweak this memory management tweak which will be in the same location as the first tweak to match the same amount of level 2 cache as on the CPU: SecondLevelDataCache

I personally believe it is well worth paying for a subscription for a decent 3rd party firewall like "Glasswire" and then you can be 100% certain that you have switched of all programs which will constant be using your internet connection which must be using your system resources running in the background.

That is pretty much it and of course every now and then house clean your system with a 3rd party application like CCleaner to help unclog your system with unnecessary files which could or will slow system performance.
WoW, thank you so much! Are you sure that CPU is compatible with the motherboard? I remember seeing that the max cpu compatible was a 6700k

beers

Staff member
I dont feel a RAM problem
You gain less than 1% by spending on 2400 modules.

There's no need for a K SKU as he can't adjust the multiplier anyway, the 7700 is only 6-7% faster in most workloads. If you can find one less expensively then that's cool, although most of the ebay prices seem to be nearly triple the cost of a 6700.

P Bowry

WoW, thank you so much! Are you sure that CPU is compatible with the motherboard? I remember seeing that the max cpu compatible was a 6700k
The motherboard manual is showing that your motherboard will support CPUs up to TDP 65w so any CPU without a "k" will work just fine including:

Intel® Core™ i7-7700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz)

The manual is also showing that the maximum RAM which your motherboard will automatically clock at is 2333Mhz and not 2400Mhz as originally first thought because your motherboard bios is v2 going by the CPU-Z report.

Comparing the two CPUs you should get 25% increase performance overall:

Last edited: