Upgrading my specs

skovdam

I'm hoping to get some help figuring out what to upgrade (other than just the entire pc).

Haven't had any problems with games for a long time but at this point the never games just cant be run on my system and I would like to figure out what my current specs can handle in term of upgrades, if I need a new GPU does the motherboard and processor need a change to making the price sky rocket.

Thoughts so far:
Figured ill buy 1 or 2? more RAM stick (8GB or upgrade for 2 16GB), can I buy any RAM or does it need to be the same exact?
If I buy the extra Ram can I place them in any socket of the motherboard (it has 4, 2red and 2black, current RAM is in the red)?
Most likely the GPU is the one i should upgrade, but to what? and would it require me to upgrade anything else (PSU, Processor, motherboard)?

Budget is a bit flexible but lets say 1100 EUR (not counting the RAM in this).

Specs: (taken everything from MSinfo and the mail from back when I bought it so if anything is missing please just ask for the info, and how I can see it)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K @ 3,60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 9 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Bios Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 1.30, 12-11-2018
SMBios Version: 2.8
Bios Mode: UEFI

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 (Mail says: ASUS Turbo 2070 8GB)

BaseBoard Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Ca., Ltd
BaseBoard Product: MPG Z390 Gaming PLUS (MS-7B51)
BaseBoard Version: 1.0

Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 16 GB
Available Physical Memory: 9.48 GB
Total Virtual Memory: 31,9 GB
Available Vitual Memory: 22,3 GB
Memory Speed: 2666 MHz
Form Factor: DIMM
Name: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT

Powersupply: FSP Raider II 750W 88+ Silver

Bridge: Shark Gaming Bloodfreezer

2 Monitors both BenQ, 1 is a 60Hz the other is a 144Hz

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
At this point, I would just try upgrading the video card and see where that got you. Getting another set of 2x8gb ram probably wouldn't hurt either. You would want to get the same speed and timings of existing sticks.

There really is no upgrade path as far as cpu cause Socket 1151 is dead now and I think it would be a waste of money getting an I9. You would need new mobo and cpu.

skovdam

Asus GeForce RTX 4070 Super Dual EVO 12GB GDDR6x, Boost 2505MHz (777 EUR) (It says 12GB in the title but the specifications says its 16GB)

Asus GeForce RTX 4070 TI Super TUF OC 16GB GDDR6x, Boost 2670MHz (1100 EUR)

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 Super AERO OC 12GB GDDR6x, Boost 2565MHz (844 EUR)

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 WindForce OC 12GB GDDR6x, Boost 2490MHz (710 EUR)

MSI GeForce RTX 4070 TO Super Gaming X Slim 16GB GDDR6x, Boost 2685MHz (1100 EUR)

(RAM Question you say it needs to match the speed and "timings" the task manager shows me what the speed is but dont know where to see the Timings)

So I found these, would they work for my system?

the 2 ASUS requires 750 powersupply, don't know how it works. I have a 750 but I'm guessing I need more since its only the gpu that want that much?

Aero and MSI requires 700 powersupply so I would think that works?

Got no glue what all the information they give me means so hope you can help :)
Attached the specification of each card the website gives as images.

Attachments

• AsusGeForceRTX4070.jpg
    AsusGeForceRTX4070.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 2
  • AsusGeForceRTX4070TI.jpg
    AsusGeForceRTX4070TI.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 2
  • GigabyteGeForceRTX4070.jpg
    GigabyteGeForceRTX4070.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1
  • GigabyteGeForceRTX4070Wind.jpg
    GigabyteGeForceRTX4070Wind.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1
  • MSIGeForceRTX4070.jpg
    MSIGeForceRTX4070.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 2

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
(RAM Question you say it needs to match the speed and "timings" the task manager shows me what the speed is but dont know where to see the Timings)
Download and run CPUZ

Open the SPD tab and that will tell you what exact ram you have in the part number box. Then click on the memory tab and that will tell you what the current timings are. If the original part numbers are still avaiable for sale then just get that and you'll be fine.

ram part number.jpgram timings.jpg

As far as what video card to get, whatever you can afford. Your current psu will suffice unless its getting up there in age.