Upgrading Processor - Dell Latitude e5400

Bigshooter

Hello everyone!
My laptop is Dell Latitude E5400. Recently, I replaced the old 240gb/5400rpm hard drive with a Kingston 240gb SSD. I also added 2gb/800mhz more RAM and now it has 4gb in total. So, I decided to replace the processor (Intel Core 2 Duo T7250/2mb L2 cache) with a faster one. (These are the numbers on the top of the processor if they help: LF80537, V947A355, SLA49)

This is the list of processors that I am interested in:

1. Intel Core 2 Duo - T9300 - (6M Cache, 2.50 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)
  2. Intel Core 2 Duo - T9500 - (6M Cache, 2.60 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)
My Questions are:

1. Will it work? I am really confused. Can somebody explain the difference between BGA479, PGA478, PPGA478 sockets? Are these T9300 and T9500 processors compatible with my motherboard socket?

2. Is the BIOS (Version A13) going to recognize the new processor?

3. Do I need to change my 65W power cable with bigger one if the new processor is with the same 35W consumption as the T7250?

4. Is the upgrade worth it? I am using the laptop only for small graphic design works with Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop. Is there going to be a significant improvement in the performance?
*Note: I am not interested in buying new computer.

Thank you very much for the help and the information!

Laquer Head

*Note: I am not interested in buying new computer.

Thats unfortunate cause, at this point, you really ought to be looking into one..

Sorry to say, but that stuff is beyond ancient and even if you could upgrade - the cost/benefit/labor makes it completely pointless.

We are literally talking about "upgrading" to an obsolete CPU that first hit market in Q1 2008

Dont waste your money!!

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I'd personally pick up a newer Latitude, even if it is just one generation newer than your current model. You'll see way more improvement in it than upgrading components of your E5400.

beers

Staff member
Bunch of naysayers man. Those -should- work but BIOS support is a crap shoot. With a SSD and upgraded CPU (you can also get one of the 8xxx series for pennies) will still be pretty peppy for general use.

As long as you have the newest BIOS version and are matching fsb/tdp then you have the highest chance of it working.

The difference between bga and PGA is that bga is soldered to the board.

Laquer Head

Bunch of naysayers man. Those -should- work but BIOS support is a crap shoot. With a SSD and upgraded CPU (you can also get one of the 8xxx series for pennies) will still be pretty peppy for general use.

As long as you have the newest BIOS version and are matching fsb/tdp then you have the highest chance of it working.

:rolleyes:

Deadpool

That's actually true. The T8300 is at like $20 on Amazon. Don't think it's a significant improvement but if you are dead set to upgrade I'd do that.

beers

Staff member
T9300 can be had for sub $20 on the eBays, 25% increase in clock speed and triple the cache over the T7250

Is the upgrade worth it? I am using the laptop only for small graphic design works with Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop. Is there going to be a significant improvement in the performance?

Meant to touch on this note, it should be noticeable but not ground breaking. If you had professional or intensive type of work I'd also throw the 'new computer time' suggestion into the hat.

Last edited:

Deadpool

T9300 can be had for sub $20 on the eBays, 25% increase in clock speed and triple the cache.

Meant to touch on this note, it should be noticeable but not ground breaking. If you had professional or intensive type of work I'd also throw the 'new computer time' suggestion into the hat.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core2-Duo-T8300-vs-Intel-Core2-Duo-T7250/m1921vsm1781

The T8300 is a significant improvement. It's still old and a bit slow but it's (according to this) 43% better. Pretty good for $20.

Bigshooter

Yes, I totally agree with all of you. The Latitude e5400 is pretty old and it can not be compared with newer laptops.
But personally, I find it way better from the cheap laptops currently on the market because of it's build quality. Also, it has sentimental value to me.
I already have a decent desktop computer, but I just want to get a little bit more out of this laptop with small upgrades, since the components are pretty cheap these days.
The thing is that I don't understand much about sockets, motherboards, power consumption, etc.... If you could help me it will be great!

UPDATE: Thank you, beers. QUOTE: "The difference between bga and PGA is that bga is soldered to the board."

Here is a link to a picture I took before changing the thermal paste of the current T7250: http://imgur.com/KexvEi9

From the screw next to the processor, I consider that the processor is not soldered to the board.

Deadpool

Yes, I totally agree with all of you. The Latitude e5400 is pretty old and it can not be compared with newer laptops.
But personally, I find it way better from the cheap laptops currently on the market because of it's build quality. Also, it has sentimental value to me.
I already have a decent desktop computer, but I just want to get a little bit more out of this laptop with small upgrades, since the components are pretty cheap these days.
The thing is that I don't understand much about sockets, motherboards, power consumption, etc.... If you could help me it will be great!

UPDATE: Thank you, beers. QUOTE: "The difference between bga and PGA is that bga is soldered to the board."

Here is a link to a picture I took before changing the thermal paste of the current T7250: http://imgur.com/KexvEi9

From the screw next to the processor, I consider that the processor is not soldered to the board.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375738,00.asp (To further increase your knowledge about motherboards and sockets)

Power consumption is simple. What is it that you don´t understand? It´s measured in Watt-hours. Let´s say a component says "65W", it means it uses 3600x65 [J] an hour (at max load). A joule(J) is an unit of energy.

beers

Staff member
Yep that's socketed, so you should be able to replace it.

The same 65w brick will be fine. If you had a larger wattage brick you'd probably see the battery charge a bit faster but that's about it. I have a 180w brick from my old work laptop that works on my new one, but functionally no real difference from the stock one.