Upgrading processor

Wisefire

I own a Hp Slimline s7320n PC. I bought a new processor, I read at the HP website that it should work, I also talked to an Online technician about it, He said it would work as well.

Now when I tried installing the processor, the PC just turns on, and then turns off.. Any ideas?

Processor Purchased
Mobo Specs

Shady

<b>VIP Member</b>
Yes it should work. May be it's hot, are you sure you installed the heatsink and that the fan is working ?

Wisefire

I just tried again, no luck, it just turns on, and then off immediately. I was looking at the pins on the 2.5Ghz processor, I think one is missing, It looks like it was there and now Isn't, would that cause something like this to happen?

Pck21

I just tried again, no luck, it just turns on, and then off immediately. I was looking at the pins on the 2.5Ghz processor, I think one is missing, It looks like it was there and now Isn't, would that cause something like this to happen?

Possibly, but it sounds like the chip is over heating. Did you apply thermal paste in between the heat sink and the CPU? Also, check to make sure the heat sink is working correctly, turned on, and seated properly.

Edit: After looking at your processor and your mobo, it seems they are different. The cpu is a 478 pin and the mobo is a socket 479, or 479 pin. That could be your problem.

Edit #2: Actually upon further reading (http://www.computing.net/answers/cpus/478pin-vs-socket-479/11756.html) it seems that it should work. Try re-seating the heat sink.

Last edited:

Wisefire

Possibly, but it sounds like the chip is over heating. Did you apply thermal paste in between the heat sink and the CPU? Also, check to make sure the heat sink is working correctly, turned on, and seated properly.

Edit: After looking at your processor and your mobo, it seems they are different. The cpu is a 478 pin and the mobo is a socket 479, or 479 pin. That could be your problem.

Edit #2: Actually upon further reading (http://www.computing.net/answers/cpus/478pin-vs-socket-479/11756.html) it seems that it should work. Try re-seating the heat sink.

I applied paste, I aslo tried removing the heatsink and just turning it on, just to see if anything change, no luck, same thing, on and then off. I have reseated the heatsink 4 or 5 times. I'm quite confused, I've replaced processors in other computers before and they never were much hassle.

Pck21

I applied paste, I aslo tried removing the heatsink and just turning it on, just to see if anything change, no luck, same thing, on and then off. I have reseated the heatsink 4 or 5 times. I'm quite confused, I've replaced processors in other computers before and they never were much hassle.

Could be a bad CPU then. It doesn't happen that often but it does happen. Can you RMA it back to the company you bought from and exchange it for another one?

Wisefire

Could be a bad CPU then. It doesn't happen that often but it does happen. Can you RMA it back to the company you bought from and exchange it for another one?

Nope. 12$ off of Ebay. It's fine. My Dad bought it quite some time ago and I had yet to get it to work.

Pck21

Nope. 12$ off of Ebay. It's fine. My Dad bought it quite some time ago and I had yet to get it to work.

Hmmm well if you could test it in another mobo then we would know for certain. Have you changed anything else besides the CPU in the computer recently? I know it sounds tedious, but put the original CPU back in and fire it up. If that works, do a BIOS update on the motherboard because that could be causing the new CPU not to work. If you do all of that and the computer still turns on and turns off, then you have a bad CPU.

Wisefire

Hmmm well if you could test it in another mobo then we would know for certain. Have you changed anything else besides the CPU in the computer recently? I know it sounds tedious, but put the original CPU back in and fire it up. If that works, do a BIOS update on the motherboard because that could be causing the new CPU not to work. If you do all of that and the computer still turns on and turns off, then you have a bad CPU.

Unfortunately, I don't have another motherboard that can use/test the processor. I haven't changed anything else in it. I'm using it right now to post, so the original CPU definitely works. Also, How exactly do I update Bios? I know what they are etc., Just haven't ever needed to update them. I'll google around a little until you reply, I would rather have your opinion/view before trying something that could potentially harm my system.

Pck21

Unfortunately, I don't have another motherboard that can use/test the processor. I haven't changed anything else in it. I'm using it right now to post, so the original CPU definitely works. Also, How exactly do I update Bios? I know what they are etc., Just haven't ever needed to update them. I'll google around a little until you reply, I would rather have your opinion/view before trying something that could potentially harm my system.

Updating the BIOS can be easy as downloading it, burning it to a DVD, and booting from it. It can be as hard as downloading it, using a BIOS updater, and then having it update. I would google your mobo (brand and model) with the word "BIOS" at the end of it. The manufacturer should have it.

I'll give a story of hope with this. I updated my parent's old Gateway with a new dual core CPU and a 9800GT GPU. It simply would not run very well in games and whatnot. I googled the make and model of the computer and found the BIOS on the Gateway site right away. They gave me the directions of burning it to a DVD and then booting from it. I did it all, it updated, and now everything works flawlessly.

However, be aware that updating the BIOS can harm your computer with either the wrong version or updating it incorrectly.

Wisefire

Updating the BIOS can be easy as downloading it, burning it to a DVD, and booting from it. It can be as hard as downloading it, using a BIOS updater, and then having it update. I would google your mobo (brand and model) with the word "BIOS" at the end of it. The manufacturer should have it.

I'll give a story of hope with this. I updated my parent's old Gateway with a new dual core CPU and a 9800GT GPU. It simply would not run very well in games and whatnot. I googled the make and model of the computer and found the BIOS on the Gateway site right away. They gave me the directions of burning it to a DVD and then booting from it. I did it all, it updated, and now everything works flawlessly.

However, be aware that updating the BIOS can harm your computer with either the wrong version or updating it incorrectly.

Well, I went to the HP website and found a Bios Update - Link, But after rebooting to see what my current version is, I found that the so called "Update" is what I have currently installed. I'm not sure what else there I could do.

Pck21

Well, I went to the HP website and found a Bios Update - Link, But after rebooting to see what my current version is, I found that the so called "Update" is what I have currently installed. I'm not sure what else there I could do.

Hmm ok then I can only think that it is a bad CPU. The reason I say that is because it's the only thing that has changed in the computer itself. If you can somehow test it on another mobo, then you'll have an answer.

Wisefire

Hmm ok then I can only think that it is a bad CPU. The reason I say that is because it's the only thing that has changed in the computer itself. If you can somehow test it on another mobo, then you'll have an answer.

Allright, well, Thanks for all your help.