upgrading question

Thunderdome

So I got my new Dell XPS 8300 i7, 6 gigs of ram with ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5. I want to get a better video card in there, so I need to replace the powersupply before I can upgrade the video card. I was thinking of throwing in this powersupply:
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_442&item_id=022756

I will be buying it locally as I can run that through work, so wont be buying from an online place. The video card I am thinking of getting is
Sapphire 100282XTREME Radeon HD 5850 Xtreme Edition Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16)
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=199805&CatId=3669

Now I need to know if the power supply is a good one, I know nothing about them, but would like to keep the cost down. Also regarding the video card, will that work on my machine? Not sure what PCI express and PCI Express 2.0 mean for me, or what my computer has (mac guy). Its a brand new machine so assuming its using newer technologies.

Is that a good video card as well? Would like to try some games like crysis 2, plus the regular stuff I do in Secondlife, and WOW.

daisymtc

Cooler Master extreme is not that good. Consider Antec/ Seasonic/ Corsair.
If you get PCI-E x 16 slot, it will work

Thunderdome

Last edited:

Hitchtech

It should be specific.. i would bet lots of money it has x16 slots. I personally use a coolermaster PSU and it works flawlessly. Im not real big on the Radeon series but that card looks legit. Youll be able to play crysis 2.

Thunderdome

It should be specific.. i would bet lots of money it has x16 slots. I personally use a coolermaster PSU and it works flawlessly. Im not real big on the Radeon series but that card looks legit. Youll be able to play crysis 2.

I just ordered the card, just need to pick up a power supply this weekend. With the video card, do I need to install drivers first before I am able to use it? Or will it give me video and allow me to install what I need?