Upgrading RAM imac 27 inch

Id0ntkn0w

Hi,
I'm looking into buying a 27 inch imac but need at least 32 gb RAM....but dont need the apple price tag for the upgrade.
Have watched youtube videos saying you can easily just pop the cover open and insert ram bought on ebay...but is it that easy?
My concern is while Im mechanically minded, can repair out gramophones, sewing machines etc .... I'm a total novice with computers really. Just your run of the mill user who needs a fast computer for video and sound editing.
What can go wrong when you upgrade yourself?
Am I out of my depth trying this myself....If when I turn it back on, it doesnt work as normal....Im goosed!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Just make sure you buy compatible ram, which is the most important part. If you add to existing ram make sure speed and timings is the same. But I really don't recommend it. Before opening the case touch something metal to discharge any static electricity.

beers

Staff member
What kind of stuff do you do that requires that much RAM? I find peoples workloads interesting. I agree on the steep Apple price tag.

You should be able to use something like the Crucial advisor tool, that would give you an idea of standard/speed/latency for you and spit out a couple of model numbers you can compare other kits against.

Buying RAM on eBay can be a bit of a gamble as well, would generally suggest a known retailer's ebay page or something similar. A lot of warranties only apply to the original purchaser as well.

Teardown/open wise it should be relatively straightforward, there's a few how to videos on them youtubes that will like step by step it with you.

Id0ntkn0w

Just make sure you buy compatible ram, which is the most important part. If you add to existing ram make sure speed and timings is the same. But I really don't recommend it. Before opening the case touch something metal to discharge any static electricity.
Thanks so much....certainly sounds like a job for someone who knows what they are doing...ie...not me! With it being such an expensive purchase, I cant afford to risk it. In the long term, it may be worth my while shelling out extra for the apple upgrade.

Id0ntkn0w

What kind of stuff do you do that requires that much RAM? I find peoples workloads interesting. I agree on the steep Apple price tag.

You should be able to use something like the Crucial advisor tool, that would give you an idea of standard/speed/latency for you and spit out a couple of model numbers you can compare other kits against.

Buying RAM on eBay can be a bit of a gamble as well, would generally suggest a known retailer's ebay page or something similar. A lot of warranties only apply to the original purchaser as well.

Teardown/open wise it should be relatively straightforward, there's a few how to videos on them youtubes that will like step by step it with you.
I will be editing music videos and mastering the music also...After years of driving myself round the bend with cheap computers and laptops that are slow and unresponsive, I finally have the opportunity to buy a what I hope will be an immediate response PC without all the wiring that goes with windows desktops...the office is already overflowing with cables for this thing and that! Maybe I'm asking the wrong question?
What I need is a quick response, efficient PC that can handle adobe audition and premier pro with ease....and obviously without the cables so an all in one or imac (not a fan of laptops for this kind of work).....any recommendations? I assumed as the software needs a minimum of 16 GB Ram, that 32 GB would be ideal?