Upgrading RAM, need help...

eyeball

I currently have 2GB RAM (1GB x 2) installed in an Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe motherboard. I picked up another pair of identical RAM sticks and installed them, but the computer will not boot with them in there. Changed out old sticks with new to make sure the new ones are working, and the new ones work fine, everything boots up with just the two sticks in there. I know with XP 32-bit I'll only be able to get 3GB total effective RAM out of this if I can get it to work, but I just can't seem to get it to work. What might I be doing wrong?

AMD Fanboy

when you say identical, do you mean the same manufacturer or the same capacity, or both? It's possible that the new RAM is bad. i would say, leave the original pair in there and put one of the sticks from the new pair in. try it that way and see what happens. if it boots, take that one out and try the second stick. if it doesn't, also try the second stick. perhaps it's not both of the sticks, but just one of them.

eyeball

Identical. Same mfgr, same speed, same everything. I tried to explain in the original post that I did swap out the new ones with the old, known good sticks, and the new ones work fine when it's just the two of them in there. It just won't work with all four in there.

AMD Fanboy

what I meant, was try it with THREE. this way we can isolate which stick specifically is malfunctioning. If you take two out and put two in, you just know that something might be wrong with the PAIR. if we can isolate it to one stick, we'll know for sure that the problem is with the memory it's self and not something else. so, leave the good RAM in and install ONE STICK of the other RAM. If it boots, take that one out and install the other Stick. DO NOT DO THIS IN PAIRS AS IT WILL TELL YOU NOTHING!!