upgrading ram

oriolesfan

New Member
I currently have 512mb of ram and want to upgrade so i can play games better and have an overall better system performance. I ran a system scan on crucial.com and it says that i have 3 more memory slots available. So if i bought 2gb (2x1) would it work with the 512mb of ram i already have? On Crucial, it said that my computer supports dual-channel memory, which it says that i should install memory in identical pairs. This ram stuff is confusing and i want to make sure i buy the right kind of ram. In addition, Crucial says that for my computer: "Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700,DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot." Most of the ram i see online is pc2 5300. So my computer can only use 2700 or 3200? So if i bought this would it work properly with my computer? Or could i just get this? Thanks
 
Last edited:
I would go to the computer makers website and check out the support page for you model. They will tell you what kind of memory you need for sure.
 
I only had one computer that worked with duel channel but when you use it i think you have to put it in slots 1 and 3 or slots 2 and 4 if you dont it beat out the purpose of duel channel im pretty sure, but might need som1 else to confirm. Also you said DDR the memory you linked is DDR2. So i would def go check out the manufactors site to be sure. Maybe post your computer or your motherboard if its custom and i could look it up if you wanted.
 
My computer is not custom. It is a Intel D865GBF Motherboard. Is dual-channel good or something? How about this ram? I was looking for something a lot cheaper than $60. Could there be any cheaper ram than that? Here is the page for my computer and ram. Or what about if i just got 1gb of ram instead of 2gb. Would it be that much of a difference in performance in games? Could i use the 1gb with the 512mb so i have like 1 1/2?
Thanks a lot.
 
Last edited:
You dont need to spend so much,here is your motherboard specs, not sure if you want to go duel channel some places say it supports some say it doesnt. You can look on ebay or newegg just look for DDR ram for 400, 333, or 266 also make sure its 184 pin. Here is a list of some on newegg make sure its 184 pin you can post it back on here before you buy if you want.

If you want to do duel channel you would have to take out the 512 you have then put the duel channel ram you baught in sockets 1 and 3 or sockets 2 and 4.

If you want just one gig i recomend not going duel channel.
 
Last edited:
Okay, i am thinking about this one... I think ill just get the 1gb, so that's not dual-channel right? so i can use my 512mb with this 1gb one? Thanks a lot for the help, GamerX i really appreciate it.
 
Ok, you're right, thanks oscaryu1. I'll order that one instead. Are there any precautions i should take before i try to install the ram?
 
If you want you can touch the surounding area like it says to with a towel or somthing to make sure static doesnt kill anything, has never happened to me but you can take percautions.
 
Last edited:
Only 10 volts of electro static discharge can damage computer components. Avoid touching chips or traces on any computer chips as you handle them. There is danger of electro static discharge damage.

Before handling any computer components touch the back of your computer case to discharge any static electricity.
 
I would either look for some DDR 3200 RAM or look for a new computer. That DDR RAM is a little old, the DDR3 RAM is already spreading across the market. The PC2 5300 RAM won't fit in your motherboard, according to Crucial. DDR and DDR2 are physically not interchangeable. I know from personal experience haha. I would look into a new computer. DDR RAM was standard a looonngg time ago, and by the age of the mobo, it doesn't sound like the age of the computer is good enough to play very many games.
 
Also, don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure all of the memory modules have to be the same size. eg 3x1GB, 2x2GB. I don't know how well putting 2 1GB sticks with a 512MB stick would work.
 
Also, don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure all of the memory modules have to be the same size. eg 3x1GB, 2x2GB. I don't know how well putting 2 1GB sticks with a 512MB stick would work.

It depends on the motherboard. Some motherboards will allow you to combine different types of memory while others won't. I had an ASUS A7N266-VM/AA motherboard that would allow me to combine different sizes of memory modules. I also had a Foxconn 6100K8MA-RS motherboard that would not allow different types of memory at all. It had to be the exact same model or else I would get lock ups.
 
I ended up ordering this. Its free shipping, so it was a good deal. I think 1gb will work with 512mb, i mean, why not? I know i won't be able to play the latest games, but that's fine. I just wanted my computer faster and the games that i already play faster as well. Thanks for the help
 
Last edited:
Super Talent makes great quality RAM and they also have a lifetime warranty on their memory. It's an American company too.

It's also what I am currently using in my system.
 
I got the ram today and installed it. Since my computer has 2 groups of 2 slots for ram, i just put the 1gb in the 3rd and left the 512mb in the 1st. I started my computer and it said something like "dual channeling requires the same ram on different ram slots" or something.. Then it just said press any key to continue. So should i have installed the 1gb in the 2nd slot? Also, my computer detects the 1gb stick because in system properties it says 1.5gb instead of 512mb of ram. But my computer doesn't seem any faster though... The start up didn't seem any faster, and my games didn't seem much faster as well. Even when i launch a program its the same as if i had 512mb. Do i have to adjust settings or something so i can get the best out of the 1gb ram?
Thanks
 
Last edited:
Back
Top