Upgrading to a super fast M.2 SSD drive: what improves ?

jo86

Hi forum.
I produce music on my laptop and it requires a ton of CPU power. I've already boosted the PC to 32GB RAM (just in case) and my CPU is an i7 8th Gen and apparently I can't upgrade the processor as it's probably welded onto the mboard. The bastard.

My current main HD is an SSD M.2 with avg speeds. I'm thinking if I upgrade the main drive, then performance might noticeably improve. Music production mostly requires loading up lots of software simultaneously, accessing and processing large sound libraries, that type of thing. I'm looking at the Samsung 980 Pro with its insane 7000 MB Per Second Read speed, but it's expensive (I'll also upgrade the 2nd storage drive from regular SATA to an SSD). Is it worth it for what I need you think - vs the more modest 3500MB Read speed of the EVO 970.
Thx.

Intel_man

VIP Member
You can't fully utilize the speeds that the 980 Pro would give you since that is on PCIE 4.0. None of the Intel products available support PCIE 4.0 so you'll end up with speeds closer to the 970 Evo anyways as a result.

In your case, I'd just stick with the 970 Evo Plus if you're set on going Samsung.

jo86

You can't fully utilize the speeds that the 980 Pro would give you since that is on PCIE 4.0. None of the Intel products available support PCIE 4.0 so you'll end up with speeds closer to the 970 Evo anyways as a result.

In your case, I'd just stick with the 970 Evo Plus if you're set on going Samsung.
right yeah, was afraid of that. I just updated my laptop specs in the signature to my current computer btw.
How do you know whether a laptop can use the full capacity of a hard drive btw ? Like how do I know for sure what my laptop's maximum capability is in terms of HD speeds ?
Thanks.