upgrading to new CPU/RAM/motherboard. Have drive questions

mjoliat

I'm going to be upgrading to a new system. I also bought a 500G SSD and Windows 10. My old system had a 500G HDD and is running Vista so I couldn't get the free Win10 upgrade. I want to clone the old HDD to the new SSD but have some questions about the basic process. Basically I would like to know if it is best to just throw the old HDD into the new system and let it go, then clone the HDD to the new SSD, or should I clone the HDD first on the old system, then build the new system and insert the cloned SSD?

Also will Vista work correctly on the new system since it was installed on the old one? I guess what I'm asking is -- will any OS that was installed on one set of hardware work correctly by just moving the HDD to an entirely different set of hardware (CPU/RAM/motherboard)?

The new system was a bundle from Tiger Direct. Intel i7-4790K processor, 16GB of ram, and a Gigabyte Z-97X motherboard. The SSD is a Samsung 500GB, 850 EVO.

Then the next part of this is since I will be upgrading to Win10, should I also re-install all of my software after the install, or should I be able to install 10 and hope for the best? I understand that a clean install of everything would be the best, but that is going to be a lot of work I think to do that and then try to bring in the old data/documents from those programs.

As always, thanks for any advice you can offer!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You will have to install windows 10 fresh on the new drive along with all your programs. You can't just clone the vista to the drive and use it on the new system due to the hardware difference. You'll have booting issues and activation problems.