Upgrading Video card . . .

pdizz1e86

Hey I'm new to the forums.
I have a question. You see i currently have a 9600 Pro for my video card and i want to upgrade. I can play doom3, but only on medium quality, and at 800X600 and frequently choppiness (when theres more than 1 or 2 monsters on the screen. So i was thinking about getting a 9800 pro or an x800 pro. I realize the 9800 pro is about 220 and x800 is 400 so thats not a big issue. Im also planning on buying HalfLife 2 and I want it to run fantastic and not have worry about upgrading for a long time.

My computer specs:
2.6ghz
512 mb ram
400 watt sparkler psu

So anyway i was wondering what i should get, because my friend was saying that you cant get the full performance of x800 without a intel extreme or somethin like that. So would i still get a lot of good performance out of the x800 or would i have troubles with it? Thanks a lot for any advice.

matias_edt

Hey, i am also new to this forum , i recomend you buy 9800 pro 128 MB,its a great card , and you will be able to play all latest games , i currently own farcry ,and the graphics are great ,get the 9800 ,cheaper and really good graphics.by the way, i am also planing to buy half life 2 , cant wait for it! (i need to buy a new processor )i hope this helped,good luck

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I can play doom3, but only on medium quality, and at 800X600 and frequently choppiness (when theres more than 1 or 2 monsters on the screen.
Shouldnt be.... something is definitely wrong there. I can (even with just 512MB of system memory) play on High detail 1024x768 (albeit with some choppiness but there is a distinct difference between Medium and High). You should be able to nail Medium at 1024x768 no sweat with a superior video card (and faster clock speed)

512 mb ram
Considering Doom3 loads 800MB of graphics data you'll be a lot better off with 1GB

So anyway I was wondering what I should get, because my friend was saying that you cant get the full performance of x800 without a intel extreme or somethin like that. So would I still get a lot of good performance out of the x800 or would I have troubles with it? Thanks a lot for any advice.
For the price you should prbably look at the 6800GT. In either case, wait for the 6600s to come out to push the prices down.

i recomend you buy 9800 pro 128 MB,its a great card
For $50 less you can get the more-than-comparable 5900XT or $50 more you can get the vastly superior 6800

and you will be able to play all latest games
As good as the 9800 is -- that's not happening.

i am also planing to buy half life 2 , cant wait for it! (i need to buy a new processor )
Halflife 2 can run fine on an etch-a-sketch :D