upgrading Vista trial to win7

sg1

Have an old pc which was in back of friends cupboard which has Vista trial version on, Will I be able to install an upgrade to win7 if they buy it as it will have different product key so in my eyes it 'should' work!! is this so?

They have some programs,files etc that they don't want to reinstall (but want ME to !! ) and I can't really be bothered to go driver,app,program hunting after a full fresh win7 install. So please tell me an upgrade will go straight on:eek::good:

atvb

sg1

strollin

Since the version of Vista is a trial version, it technically isn't eligible for upgrading (since it isn't licensed) so I don't think it will work.

sg1

Thank you for reply ,

But am I right in thinking the trial versions 'can' be made licensed via purchase of a key? If so , then wouldn't the purchase of a Win7 key work in the same way??

atvb

sg1

StrangleHold

Staff member
Dont think so. Pretty sure Vista has to have a key for a Windows 7 upgrade disk to work. You cant even upgrade from a Vista RTM either. You can do a clean install from a upgrade 7 disk, but then your trying to keep from doing a clean install, so your right back from where you started.