Upgrading Worth it on my Machine

Discussion in 'Video Cards and Monitors' started by mtb211, Mar 16, 2018.

1. mtb211

mtb211 Active Member

Hi Guys!

My specs are out of date. I have a 6600k @ 3.6GHZ , 16 GB Gskill DDR4 Ram, Power supply is the same, this is my motherboard GPU-/MB - MB - GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3

My current Video Card is an ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 960 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5 128-bit . I started playing Rainbow Six siege on the PC and it looks like a super nintendo game. Is there a card you could recommend so I could vastly improve my experience. I was looking at the GTX 1080 which was supposed to be 580 but because of mining is almost double the price.

Thanks!

2. mtb211

mtb211 Active Member

3. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't really say that's out of date although you might be mistaken on that board since it's a LGA1156 one and wouldn't be compatible with the 6600k.

The card you listed isn't too bad, although the 960 should be able to handle a reasonable amount of detail on Siege.

4. Deerling7

Deerling7 Active Member

Well, the 1080 is way faster than a RX 580. A GTX 1060 6GB is about the equivalent of a RX 580, so maybe consider get that. I really wouldn't get anything more than a GTX 1070 for Siege. The CPU like @beers said is fine.

5. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Well-Known Member

Yeah, that CPU is more than capable. I have an i5 myself and it works well without even over clocking. I might upgrade to a 6700 though.

The recommended GPU is a GTX 670. So I'm not sure why you have such poor performance. Have you messed with its settings and/or tried a new GPU driver? Is it updated?

6. mtb211

mtb211 Active Member

Hi Guys,

Yeah my motherboard model was listed wrong lol. You guys are the best! I will try tweaking the settings.... It said my RAM usage was at 4 GB / 4 GB and I did not want to tweak with it too much.

My drivers are up to date. I will mess with the settings and get back to you. Thanks!

7. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

You can lower some of the MSAA/FXAA and texture settings. If it's pegged on VRAM it's not going to perform well.

8. gillmanjr

gillmanjr Member

If you have an adequate power supply and depending on how cheap you can find one... buy a second 960 and SLI it.

A single GTX 1080 is surely faster than two 960s in SLI but it would also be more than twice the price.