upgrading

maxxjq

i bought an hp a6300f back in march. it's not exactly the fastest and greatest pc out there, but it was what i could afford at the time. now i am thinking of upgrading a few things in it to try and get a little power out of it. as it stands right now, i mostly play music and the grand theft auto series on it, with the exception of san andreas. i'm not very updated on my games, i know... but what i am looking at doing is getting some games like half life 2 and grand theft auto 4 (when it comes out for pc).

so my question is, what are some things i should upgrade for better gameplay? i was thinking processor, RAM, and video card. my budget is probably going to be in the <$500 range...

current specs:
OS - vista home premium 32bit
processor - Pentium E2180 (C) 2.0 GHz
chipset - NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i
mobo - Foxconn MCP73M01H1 Napa-GL8E
memory - 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM
hdd - 500 GB SATA 3G 7200 rpm
drive - 16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe SATA drive
video - integrated graphics (sad, sad)
audio - High Definition 8-channel audio ALC 888S chipset
there are 2 available PCIE x1 slots and 1 available PCIE x16 slot...

any help would be awesome!

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Change your OS to Windows XP Professional and your system will be ten times as fast as it is now.
*Jumps him*

Anyway...
Get Radeon 4850 and another 2 gigs of RAM. Also, if possible, I'd upgrade the CPU to, say, E7200 (should be a great budget CPU) or something along those lines ...that should all fit in your $500 budget and you'll get yourself a decent mid-range gaming build.

daisymtc

*Jumps him*

Anyway...
Get Radeon 4850 and another 2 gigs of RAM. Also, if possible, I'd upgrade the CPU to, say, E7200 (should be a great budget CPU) or something along those lines ...that should all fit in your $500 budget and you'll get yourself a decent mid-range gaming build.

+1

1. Check what PSU you got in the PC. Get a decent 500W if you only got something like 350W

2. Get a decent video card. ATI 4850 is good.

3. Run the PC to see if you happy with the outcome.
If not, Get another CPU, E8400 is the way to go...

4. If you still not satisfy, Get a 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM.
I guess you have a mirco-ATX Mobo, which usually have 2 slots RAM, that's why I said get 2 x 2GB instead of another 2 x 1GB

Last edited:

maxxjq

so i found out that my PSU is only 250w...
what would be a good one to go with and how will i know if a certain PSU will fit in my case?

i also found these...

CPU the 7200
RAM not sure if it would be good to go with, but i figure RAM is RAM.
9600GT
HD3850
HD4850this would be the best one to go with out of the three i put on here, correct?