URGENT: Camera Decision

spirit

Staff member
Spend the extra $10 for the one with the extra battery and the remote shutter release, which is handy for night photography. To buy the extra battery and remote shutter release will cost more than $10.

Geoff

VIP Member
I would still highly recommend trying out both in person and seeing what is more comfortable and intuitive. You don't want to use a camera that you find uncomfortable or difficult to operate.

Origin Saint

I would still highly recommend trying out both in person and seeing what is more comfortable and intuitive. You don't want to use a camera that you find uncomfortable or difficult to operate.
Tru dat. I'm stopping at a Best Buy for a few after work and gunna toy with them.

spirit

Staff member
That's because the Rebel line is shit. When you get into the EOS line they're much better.
Over here they're all branded EOS, there is no 'Rebel' or 'Tx' branding. You need to get into the 700D/60D/70D/80D before they're any good really.

C4C

Current options I'm considering:
  • Craigslist Canon Rebel T5 w/ 18-55 & 75-300 lenses, bag & SD card (1 year old) - $350
  • Sam's Club Canon Rebel T5 w/ 18-55 & 75-300 lenses, bag & SD card - $500
  • Craigslist Nikon D7000 w/ Rokinon 35mm manual lens, Voigtlander 20mm manual lens ("2100 shutter actuations") - $500
  • Craigslist Nikon D5100 w/ 18-55 VR kit, memory card, bag - $340
  • Craigslist Nikon D5100 w/ 18-55 lens, extra battery, bag - $350
  • Craigslist Nikon D3300 w/ 18-55 & 55-200 lenses, bag (150 photos taken) - $500
  • Craigslist Nikon D3100 w/ 18-55, 55-200 & 35 manual lenses, bag, (assuming memory card) - $450
  • Craigslist Olympus OM-D E-M5 w/ 12-50mm lens, hardshell case - $520
I will need to make my decision by this afternoon.

Being able to get into photography is something I would like the option to do, something a bit difficult with abridge camera afaik, not to mention I will likely be sharing this occasionally with my S/O and her mother who are artistic and fancy themselves as photographers. I'm pretty well locked into a DSLR or a Mirrorless, though most mirrorless with decent features (viewfinder, etc...) are a bit to expensive, and I'm OK with the weight of a DSLR.

Out of this list I'd recommend the D3300 (smaller and lighter body than some of the older Nikon's), and the Sam's Club Rebel T5i (for the warranty).

I personally have enjoyed my D3300 and just wish I had another small lens. $500 seems a bit steep to pay for it used, unless it really does have such little actuations.

The second link for the D5100 is a bit better with the shutter release value (dependent on brand), but the first link is probably what I'd go with due to the fact that all original paperwork is included.