[urgent]Help! Vista Aero malfunctioned after installed XP!

aleyshark

I recently bought a new laptop Vaio VGN-CR11GH/R, with windows vista aero installed. I don't like Vista very much except for the appearance, so I decided to partition the hardisk into three parts, with C: for the original vista, D: (I plan to install windows xp on it) and E: for my personal data.

The windows xp gracefully worked, but unfortunately all the laptop drivers won't work on it, since they are vista-only compatible!

--> So there's no choice but to stick on Vista

The problem is still simple if I just delete the xp and run the vista like usual, BUT, now everytime I choose vista in the OS option screen, it malfunctioned, showing "...this file is lost corrupted [/windows/system32/hal.dll]"

I checked the file, and it existed in the windows vista directory. I tried to replace the hal.dll from xp to vista one (stupid? yeah but I'm desperate already -_-)
BUT
it shows error again "the file is protected or in use"

Questions:
1. If I manage to fix the hal.dll file, will my Vista work normally again?
2. How can I fix the hal.dll file, noting that the file can't be overwritten in conventional means.
3. Is there any alternative to fix this problem? Please note that my laptop's driver only want vista, vista, and vista!

Please help me, I implore you. I need to do work immediately, and it can't be done without my laptop. Furthermore, my laptop is like a limb to me.

Thank you very much.

Reply to the moderator:
boot.ini file shows as following:

[boot loader]
redirect=USEBIOSSETTINGS
redirectbaudrate=
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)/WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)/WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Vista" /nonexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)/WINDOWS=" "
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)/WINDOWS="N"

-------------------------------

Note: Partition 1 is the place for windows vista
partition 4 is the place for windows xp

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I recently bought a new laptop Vaio VGN-CR11GH/R, with windows vista aero installed. I don't like Vista very much except for the appearance, so I decided to partition the hardisk into three parts, with C: for the original vista, D: (I plan to install windows xp on it) and E: for my personal data.

The windows xp gracefully worked, but unfortunately all the laptop drivers won't work on it, since they are vista-only compatible!

--> So there's no choice but to stick on Vista

The problem is still simple if I just delete the xp and run the vista like usual, BUT, now everytime I choose vista in the OS option screen, it malfunctioned, showing "...this file is lost corrupted [/windows/system32/hal.dll]"

I checked the file, and it existed in the windows vista directory. I tried to replace the hal.dll from xp to vista one (stupid? yeah but I'm desperate already -_-)
BUT
it shows error again "the file is protected or in use"

Questions:
1. If I manage to fix the hal.dll file, will my Vista work normally again?
2. How can I fix the hal.dll file, noting that the file can't be overwritten in conventional means.
3. Is there any alternative to fix this problem? Please note that my laptop's driver only want vista, vista, and vista!

Please help me, I implore you. I need to do work immediately, and it can't be done without my laptop. Furthermore, my laptop is like a limb to me.

Thank you very much.

Reply to the moderator:
boot.ini file shows as following:

[boot loader]
redirect=USEBIOSSETTINGS
redirectbaudrate=
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)/WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)/WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Vista" /nonexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)/WINDOWS=" "
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)/WINDOWS="N"

-------------------------------

Note: Partition 1 is the place for windows vista
partition 4 is the place for windows xp

It would have been better for you to reply to his request instead of going back into your original post and editing it.

APJ101, look in his original post for Boot.ini file.