Urgent Help

nostalgic

could anyone tell me how to transfer files from an old hard drive that has been placed in an external enclosure and used as external storage,oh yeah almost forgot it also contains all my settings and important data as I am a uni student, how transfer :confused: to a new hard drive that has got windows xp installed on it but all of my settings and programs are on this old external drive.??
What type of software should I use to achieve this transfer??

Please help

from old hard drive to a new hard drive settings and files please help help heeeeeeeeeeelp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you

ahajv4life

Are you looking to transfer windows from one harddrive to another? because that would be impossible, and you would need to just re-install windows on the new hard-drive. Otherwise, if you just want to take the old files onto the new harddrive...you have to manually look for the files, and copy them. copy from one folder on the the harddrive to the other harddrive in the correct harddrive.....ps...i'm drunk , I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense :)

Super_Nova

Does the old hard drive also have windows installed? Did it come out of the same computer? If so you could just ghost it over. But you'd have to procure a copy of norton Ghost to do that.

PC eye

banned
Unless settings are stored in files that have "cfg" or other types of three digit extensions on them the only thing you can do here is ghost the drive to a fresh drive or copy files and folders to the internal primary as long as the usb drive is accessible. Some softwares partitially clone a drive.

With XP on the internal running you would still need to reinstall softwares installed to the external. With the configuration files now transferred/copied from the old drive to the new folders for the same you may be able to avoid a reconfiguration on each program. Do you have ready access too the old hd?

nostalgic

reply to super nova and another question???

Super_Nova said:
Does the old hard drive also have windows installed? Did it come out of the same computer? If so you could just ghost it over. But you'd have to procure a copy of norton Ghost to do that.

Yes =to answer the first question it has came from the same computer i have got ghost but what do i have to do to make it work if possible in steps
such click, this click that and etc.I have never used ghost before!!!!!!!!

Also would that bring all the files over or just some?
Have you ever done something remotely similar?

Thank you,