Urgent: I received a blackmail email

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by peter912, Nov 6, 2018.

1. peter912

peter912 Member

They know my log in password and claim to have infected my computer . They want me to send $630 to a bitcoin wallet or they will release all information contained in my computer. The e mail sender used this e mail [email protected] to send this to me. What should I do ? Right now I am running a McAfee scan . How do I change my log in password but I don't want to do this until my computer is cleaned. Should I call a computer company to clean my computer from this infection by remote ?

2. Deerling7

Deerling7 Active Member

This is most likely spam.
    Did they actually log in or did they just "claim" to?

Lol, and they want bitcoin?! XD

3. Darren

Darren Moderator Staff Member

Yeah if they didn't physically log in they're full of it. 100 percent a scam, very good chance there's nothing on your computer anyway. Did they call you first?

4. peter912

peter912 Member

but they wrote my log in password in the e mail that they sent me

5. Deerling7

Deerling7 Active Member

Then change your password. If a virus scan doesn't bring anything up you are most likely okay.

6. OmniDyne

OmniDyne Active Member

If you use that same password for other programs or websites, they could have gotten your password from one of those places.

7. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

I'd just change your password and ignore it.

I've received a few of those, they're just people who pulled out your hash or leaked password from a database dump/exploit of a website where your information was stolen and are trying to scare you with it.

Darren likes this.
  8. peter912

peter912 Member

I changed my computers log in password and did a McAfee scan. McAfee didn't find anything but then again McAfee isn't able to detect everything

9. Darren

Darren Moderator Staff Member

Run MalwareBytes and AdwCleaner too.

10. peter912

peter912 Member

Both MalwareBytes and AdwCleaner found nothing

11. Deerling7

Deerling7 Active Member

Then you are good.

:)

Darren likes this.
  12. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

If it's an online Microsoft account then that's a good play. If you use an offline account it's probably irrelevant.

Burn that password and change any online accounts that have the same user/pw combo.

Darren likes this.
  13. AlienMenace

AlienMenace Member

Don't use the same password for everything. You should use a Password manager like "Last Pass or Blur".
    And don't use easy passwords. Make passwords at least 16 to 20 characters long.
    Blur password manager: https://abine.com/index.html use the free version.
    Lastpass: https://www.lastpass.com/ also use the free version.

14. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Well-Known Member

This has been a common spam email now for like since Cleopatra suxxed Cesar.

In other words... delete the damn email and forgetaboutit.

I got one too, and promptly reported it to Spam Cop as I do all spam emails. I run a pretty tight ship so I knew it was BS.

Don't be a sucka.

15. nology99xx

nology99xx New Member

Deffo a scam, if there was something worthy on your pc of being stolen they wouldnt have mentioned it :p