Urgent! New LCD Monitor help!

pdizz1e86

I just got my new sony lcd monitor. It supports dvi, so at first i just plugged in the dvi cord and when i turned on my computer, i could see the boot up screen and all, but it wouldnt load my desktop and would automatically reset and so forth. When i plugged in my vga along with the dvi, everything is fine.

So was wondering if i have plug in my vga if im gonna plug in the dvi? and also since both of them are plugged in, is my monitor running on vga or dvi?

Thanks.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
You'll note that you'll get an asnwer sooner if you put it in the right section....

if i have plug in my vga if im gonna plug in the dvi?
:confused: Uh...........

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I dunno how you came up with that one but if the CPU was OCd that high, (s)he woldnt be able to get the video to work period :)

pdizz1e86

sorry i meant "do i have to plug in my vga if im gonna plug in the dvi?"

And so i didn't OC anything. My friend also has an lcd monitor, and he said he only plugs in my his dvi . . . i dont know what wrong :(

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Just a guess: do you have a Hercules video card?

If yes, then this could be the problem:
DVI boards have to detect properly the DVI flat panel to which they are connected through the identification of a code called the EDID. In case the bios has not been updated to recognize the EDID, you may have a bad display, so maybe your problem is the old bios.
For the latest BIOS please consult the Support Section of our web site and search for the BIOS by product. This should help problems that some people are experiencing.

Last edited: