[Urgent] Strange PC in network

Calin

Hi all,
I know that I have asked a lot of questions but this is urgent. Suddenly, a PC called EMY-PC appeared under network tab. Sometimes it dissapears. I'm scared. Is it something bad, could it be from my ISP, should I call the police?
PLEASE REPLY

NyxCharon

It's just means someone is on your network attempting to access network files. You should log onto your router and double check your security settings. If you are using wireless make sure you are using a good password and that you are NOT using WEP.
You could also enable MAC filtering (if possible) to make it harder for people to break into your network.

PCunicorn

Dude no worries. Just change your network password to a WP2A passsword is it isn't already, and use a password that has at least one special charactar ($, #, . , % , etc.) and is alphanumeric with at least one capital letter. It is also possible if your network isn't password protected the "Emy-PC" is just a average joe who doesn't have WiFi.

NyxCharon

No. Idk how to explain but please help!!!!

We can't help if you aren't able to explain the situation correctly.

Do you have an internet either via
1)Modem
2)Router

It does not matter if you connect wirelessly to either of these things.
Assuming you do, browse to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 (usually the first one).
That should get you to your management page.

Are you able to do this?

Darren

Staff member
Generally a modem means your computer plugs directly into a box that is a modem via an ethernet cable or cat5. A router will give you a wireless signal and is what WiFi is. Which do you have?

Sometimes but not always your internet will go through a modem to a router. But a simpler reponse would just be, are you using WiFi or not?

n0xious

Could you please do the following :

Copy paste the following into a Notepad file. To open Notepad, click on Start->Accessories->Notepad

Code:
@echo off
echo Connection status > look.txt
echo _______________ >> look.txt
ipconfig >> look.txt
echo Shares and computers on the network >> look.txt
net view >> look.txt
echo Active connections >> look.txt
netstat -an >> look.txt.
notepad look.txt

Save this as look.bat in your Desktop. To save the file, click on File->Save As. Enter the filename as look.bat and ensure that the File Type is All Files (*.*).
Double click the file. In a moment, another notepad file called "look.txt" will be generated. Post the contents here so that the members can have a look at what's going on in your network.

Last edited: