Usb 1/1.1/2.0

mobily

Hey all,

Do you need different usb cables to support the different formats. For example I have just installed a usb2.0 pci card in my computer but want to know if I need to buy new usb cables to support the faster speeds?

Geoff

VIP Member
most likely not, if you have fairly recent cables, they should work, but if there really old, they might not give you the best performance.

Johnnyboy0056

if ur card is 2.0, then ur wires will work fine. only downfall is if u have a 1.0 usb CABLE and plug it into the 2.0 CARD, then the transfer rate will be at 1.0, NOT 2.0 because the wire cannot handle the 2.0 it will work though.

diroga

how do you know if you have a 1.1 or 2.0 cable? I have 2.0 but i am using an older(2001) cable. it's for my printer so it doesnt matter much.

Johnnyboy0056

most are labeled on thr plastic that covers the metal plug part. it will have the usb 2.0 logo, or at least it should. sometimes its printed on the wire itself.

Doughboy217

I have installed a USB 2.0 PCI card and now my computer won't shut down. When I click the shut down button my computer starts the sequence but it just restarts... What can I do?

Johnnyboy0056

first, take the card back out and see if the computer works ok. if it does, try another pci slot ont he mobo and see what happens. if this doesnt work, see if u can dl some drivers from the manufac. website of the usb pci card. and if u do all this and same prob, and it doesnt happen with the card unplugged from the mobo, i say exchange it for another card from wherever u bought it from.