Usb 2.0

Jon Boy

Well im an abselute retard for most computer things so dont blame me if I sound stupid. Well the thing is I wan to get USB 2.0 (as im getting an external DVD writter) but I have no idea how to do it. Is there any way of getting USB 2 without putting stuff in my computer (as I dont want to bugger things up) and if I had 2 would the existing USB ports become USB 2 or would I have to change them? I saw on ebay once this thingy that plugged into some big socket at the back and said it was USB 2.0 just using something different(1 end was usb the other some big wide thing). Well thanks if you can help. :)

The_Other_One

VIP Member
The only way to add USB2.0 to a computer is by adding in some expansion card. Those big ports on the back of the computer have other ports(PCI, AGP, etc) inside on the mobo

LittleHoov

your computer may already have USB 2.0..what kind of PC is it? if its not a name brand or something like that you can always run the motherboard number through google and usually find specs on it pretty quickly.

if not you should be able to find a USB 2.0 controller card that will fit in one of your available PCI slots for around 20 dollars or so, if not cheaper.
it would be a simple install, should be just put it in a PCI slot, boot up PC, install drivers that come with it and your ready to go.

Jon Boy

ok thanks but still if that is the case. If i put a card in one of the PCI slots, will I have to get new external port things, or will the existing ports fuction as USB 2. Are these ports dirrectly attactched to the card or not in which case they will be replaced when I add the card?. And no I dont have USB 2.

narafa

Most USB 2.0 devices work fine if plugged in normal USB ports. The actual difference between the normal USB (I call it USB 1.0) and the USB 2.0 is the speed of the data transfer, so most devices using USB 2.0 adapt themselves to the lower speed of USB 1.0 and function on the lower speed. Vice versa is not applicable as far as I know.

I once have a USB 2.0 flash memory, and I used to use it normally using my USB 1.0 port. At that time windows XP pro used to tell me that my device is of higher speed than the USB port I am having and will function slower. At the end of the day, it was working without any side effects.

In the case of a DVD burner, I am not sure, but speed of the port matters for sure.