USB 3.0 hard drive

With USB 3.0, since it's 10 times faster than 2.0, would that mean an external hard drive would be quicker than an internal hard drive?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Nope. External enclosures essentially use internal hard drives. These haven't even met the limitations of SATA. I don't know the specs of USB 3.0, but I suspect it'll simply emulate SATA like the past did. Even USB 2.0 was only able to acheive ATA33 speeds

Damorian

It's fairly new. Just for some speed comparisons:
USB 1.0 is 12 Mbit/s, USB 2.0 480 Mbit/s, USB 3.0 is 4.8Gbit/s.
SATA (1st gen) is 1.5Gbit/s, SATA (2nd gen) is 3Gbit/s, SATA (3rd gen) is 6Gbit/s

Note that they will probably never have that kind of throughput, but that's the max ratings they're given. I just ran HDTune and it gave me a max read speed of 250MB/s (average was just under 200MB/s). Don't confuse MB/s and Mb/s (Megabytes and megabits). There's 8 bits to a byte so that's comes out to a max read speed of 2Gbit/s, which is only 1/3 of what it could be. Also note that these are two 7200rpm 1TB 64mb cache drives in raid 0. So basically, you won't see USB 3.0 reads faster than SATA. I'd be willing to say it will actually read slower. However, Expect USB 3.0 drives to read significantly faster than USB 2.0 drives.

ScottALot

Man, it's gonna be a hassle getting 3.0 into the place that 2.0 is in right now...

Do they make firewire flash drives btw?

linkin

VIP Member
We won't know until it is officially released and used in retail systems... I bet they will release it october next year right before the chirstmas season and make it "the latest and greatest" technology to get sales up. :p

Geoff

VIP Member
USB 3 is definitely faster than 2, but an external hard disk would not be. That is for sure.
Yes it would, right now USB 2.0 is limited to 480Mbps (60MBps), while internal hard drives using SATAII can reach speeds almost double that.

And yes they do make firewire hard drives. They also have eSATA hard drives, so if you want an external hard drive that isn't limited by USB 2.0 speeds, get an eSATA drive.

Damorian

[-0MEGA-];1352964 said:
Yes it would, right now USB 2.0 is limited to 480Mbps (60MBps), while internal hard drives using SATAII can reach speeds almost double that.

And yes they do make firewire hard drives. They also have eSATA hard drives, so if you want an external hard drive that isn't limited by USB 2.0 speeds, get an eSATA drive.

Very true.

EDIT: Also, they've already got motherboards with it on the market: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128410&cm_re=USB_3.0-_-13-128-410-_-Product

Last edited: