USB 3 Flash drive very slow copying

fernandofgg

Hi community, I have a problem, hope you can help me

When I copy my USB external hard drives (3.5 drives), they copy very well, very fast.

But when I try to copy a USB 3 flash drive the copying is very slow (9mb/sec)

My windows 7 64 is up to date, all win drives are update, but probably my mobo drives are not

I can think this is a mobo driver issue, can you tell me please exactly what driver I need to update

This is my setup:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
Mobo Bios: the latest one
Win 64 drivers up to date

Thank you very much

Regards

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you plugged into a usb 3.0 port? Where are you copying the usb 3 drive to? A lot of things determine transfer rate speed.

fernandofgg

Are you plugged into a usb 3.0 port? Where are you copying the usb 3 drive to? A lot of things determine transfer rate speed.
Hi, Im using my frontal and back USB3 blue port

Im copying from one internal 3.5 drive to my USB 3 flash drive, and is copying very slow
If I copy from the same internal 3.5 drive to one external USB 3.5 drive is copying fast
The origin hard drive were Im taking the data to make the copy is the same in both cases, but one is a slow copy and the other is a fast copy

This was not happening in the past, don't know what happened lately

Thank you for your help

Darren

Staff member
What specific drive? Some cheapy ones had horrific write speeds.
This. Just because the interface itself is USB 3.0 doesn't mean the flash drive is remotely capable of pushing those speeds. Probably just cheap crappy flash drives. Good ones should be faster than a USB External HDD too, at least spinning drives.

Okedokey

There's a number of hotfixes and updates relating to USB 3.0 on your board. Make sure you have the latest software.
But when I try to copy a USB 3 flash drive the copying is very slow (9mb/sec)

...but probably my mobo drives are not

This is my setup:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
  1. Make sure you have installed the USB 3.0 driver first. Reinstall it to be sure.
  2. Only then, install the USB 3.0 hotfix and the Win7 hotfix and thunderbolt drivers for your board. Restart and check Windows Update.
  3. Then, ensure you have the latest drivers from intel restarting upon each request.